• Register Today It's free!

Ruff Idle

jacek82

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited V8
I got a ruff idle on my girls 1998 Mountaineer V8.
I got a check engine light and I got these codes off of it P-0351 and P-0352. Any clues what I should look at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P-0351 Ignition coil no. 1 primary circuit fault.

P-0352 Ignition coil no. 2 primary circuit fault.

Those are what the book says but I don't know how to fix it. It's a start - anyone else?

From the 97 manual:

Attachments

• p0351.jpg
    p0351.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 354

Here's the whole story there is a aftermarket alarm system installed on the truck with auto start option. There was wire that broke loose that was connected to the lift coil that ran under the dash had no clue what it was for and it grounded out. When the wire unground it ran fine but I had a check engine light. The P0351 and P0352 are the codes that where stored. I have replaced the left coil that the wire was hookup to.. I think the wire shorted out the coil.

Any other Ideas.

Thanks Jacek

I would test the coil(s) for resistance on the primary side. You will need to find the spec in a service manual. A manual like Haynes or Chilton will also have the procedure for testing. I don't know of an online manual for a 2004.

P0351 - Alarm system short.

Here's the whole story there is a aftermarket alarm system installed on the truck with auto start option. There was wire that broke loose that was connected to the lift coil that ran under the dash had no clue what it was for and it grounded out. When the wire unground it ran fine but I had a check engine light. The P0351 and P0352 are the codes that where stored. I have replaced the left coil that the wire was hookup to.. I think the wire shorted out the coil.

Any other Ideas.

Thanks Jacek

Jacek,
An old thread, but saved me a ton of work!

I had a very rough idle, spent better part of the day looking for vacuum leaks, and then the codes, P0351, P0352, and lean bank conditions pop up.
Low and behold I read your entry, and oddly enough my aftermarket alarm started acting up 2 days ago...?? I monkey around with the alarm module, and Viola! Smooth Idle and no codes! I guess it has a short somewhere, and was affecting the firing of the coils...Needles to say it's coming out tomorrow!

Thanks for the post! And thank you to many others, as sharing your experiences has saved me so much time, and money troubleshooting.
I always refer to this site for help whenever my old gal needs some attention!~
Mike

Back