• Register Today It's free!

ruh roh raggy! something broke!

97exploderXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Newport, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
So I was giving the eddie a good look over after making some room in the garage and I saw something disturbing. I was checking the drivers side wheel bearing when I noticed that the swaybar bracket on that side was gone, not the end link, but the actual bracket that holds the bar to the IFS and contains the bushing.. how the hell does that happen!? So I'm guessing this was the slapping noise I was hearing while driving it home. It sounded almost like the wheel was about too fall off.

Anyone have any ideas as to how this happened? One bolt is gone completely and half the other bolt is still in the threads..

No real ideas. Maybe it's been off before and not tighten back properly or thread loc was needed on the bolts during the install and not used. But, glad you found it before something bad may have happened.

Have any work done by a shop lately? My son's explorer was in for inspection (at a local Midas) and he was told a power steering hose was leaking. Hose was replaced and car inspected. Later that day my son was idling at a red light when he heard a sound from under the front end. The bracket had fallen to the ground. Geniuses at shop had removed one bolt and left second bolt hanging by a thread or two. Luckily he didn't lose the bracket.

Have any work done by a shop lately? My son's explorer was in for inspection (at a local Midas) and he was told a power steering hose was leaking. Hose was replaced and car inspected. Later that day my son was idling at a red light when he heard a sound from under the front end. The bracket had fallen to the ground. Geniuses at shop had removed one bolt and left second bolt hanging by a thread or two. Luckily he didn't lose the bracket.

Nope I do all my own work. But that doesnt say anything for the previous owners. I dont know much of the trucks history other than it sat for 2 years after they put a new motor in it. Ive only had it for going on 2 weeks but its starting to look more and more like a $400 than a steal of a deal lol. but then again I do live in east tn... Lmao. The last time I had my truck in tjr shop though they did snap a stud on my passenger wheel and instead of replacing the stud they replaced one of the other lug nuts with a nice shiny new one to cover for the missing stud lol. I noticed this when I put my shackles on the other day. Gotta love walmart!

Back