run a carb/dist/coil setup vs new fuel injection... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

run a carb/dist/coil setup vs new fuel injection...

mrwigglezdj

Reaction score
City, State
milton , florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 2wd
i was wondering since i see all the treads about puting v8s in the explorers if i could cram a older 302 and auto trans in my 98 explorer sport and just run the old carb and dist/coil setup vs the fuel injection method?

mainly want to run carb for eaise of repair on the side of the road and parts are afordable vs the electronic parts cost way too much for such little gained from it all IMO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Besides the fact that your 'upgrade' isn't legal, you do realize that while the 'new' EFI stuff CAN be more expensive, they are leaps and bounds more reliable. If you want to be on the side of the road, fixing your car....get a carb and distributor....if you want your car to run....stay with EFI.

Ryan

how is it not legal?

and If it is not legal then how is it legal to put a v8 into a car that didnt origanly come from the factory with a v8 option (ex sport's)

and im not wanting a pissing match over which system is better ect. fuel injection is better and i do know that, but it is also more expensive to fix when something goes wrong. and i personaly know how to work on cars that dont require a computer to find the problem.
i like to keep it simple, if it turns over but wont start check fuel filter and pump, have gas check spark ... no brainer and at the very most a unforseen repair will only run 50 dollars for a starter or alternator... and with the way money is tight i like the thought of being able to afford to repair my car when the times comes.

so back on track from cleaning up the pee off the floor, will an older 302 bolt up like the newer 302's or does it or would it require hours upon hours of fabing mounts ect

A 302 is a 302. If you can get a GT40-P 5.0L in there, you can get a 289/302 in there too.

As for it not being legal....YOu must retain all emissions systems. Also, the engine must be from the same year or newer AND be from the same CLASS of vehicle...Your Explorer is a 2 door Sport, but it is a SUV. Meaning you can't swap in a motor from a Mustang, or an F-150...but you can swap another Explorer motor.

Ryan

Yeah I think you need to read the laws before you dive to deep into this project.

And IMO, OBD2 or newer systems are much easier to work on. A code reader pretty much lays it all out for you as to what the symptoms are.

he is in Florida. i don't think they smog there.

Thats alot of converting to, you would be spending less fixing any problems at a shop then converting to a carb. Ya I understand carbs are easy to work on but there is alot into a conversion you wouldnt want to deal with if you wanted easy. But it would be cool to see it done.

so for the sake of arguement, the ex will be an "off road project" and not meant for the streets.so no need to worry about federal regulations, and ommision laws. puting a carb. v8 in the ex would not be very hard.... hardest part might be transmission cross member and makeing sure all the lights and dash worked properly......

and please dont get me wrong on wanting a carb vs a fuelinjection. but where i live here in fla. people and scrap yards think their motors and trans are gold and belive they should get nothing less than their items weight in gold ... for a v6 only it would run 700 plus do the work myself. the v8 swap people want 1500 for the whole car to properly do a swap and will not give a title due to selling a car they haveing paid completly for. so its a no will situation. but the old v8s are a dime a dozen and i can get a motor complete with good transmission for 5-600 and then the new rad. with trans cooler.. and a few small items, i belive i could do the old v8 swap with trans for under 900 running and hauling thru the woods...

..hmm...that's weird. Because I see GT-40 5.0L Explorer motors on eBay ALL DAY LONG for less than that...

But, what ever floats your boat...

i dont know where you are geting your information or logic of thinking comes from or if you post for the post count under your name to go up a notch each time, but the motors i have found and everyone else can as well are from 500 up with missing parts and thats picked up, i have yet to find one within 100 miles of me to pick up, and then there still leaves the issue of the transmission ..... so what can be found for "less than that on ebay"?

You know. You're probably right. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm just another armchair mechanic just blabbing away on the internet. I've never even changed spark plugs. My post count is high just due to the fact that I like to comment in every thread that I find amusing.

Good luck on your project.

Ryan

Back