Running 91-94 Ranger/Explorer engines on A9L/A9P ECU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running 91-94 Ranger/Explorer engines on A9L/A9P ECU

fishy2k8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ranger
I'm doing a 4.0 swap on my b2 and started looking for the strategy files for the 4.0 ecus. After realizing there weren't any out there that were free I decided to look into using an ecu with open source tuning support, which is the A9L ecu from a fox body mustang. This ecu was built to run a 302 but with tuning can run pretty much any 4/6/8 cylinder. Since 4.0's in this era use edis ignition it makes for a pretty simple repin of the harness and plug in the a9L with a chip tuned for the engine. there would also be the option of running a cam sensor for sequential fuel injector control vs the stock batch fire setup.

I'm going to write a base "a9L swap" tune for a 4.0 once i have the engine in the b2. then from there that tune can be adjusted for people wanting to add more power to their 4.0 or change things that could require tuning.

thought this might be of interest to some folks on here since i saw that people were looking for files to tune the 91-94 4.0s with.

That is definitely of interest, perhaps for the supercharger that you sold me :)

Not sure if you know this, but I have asked and TwEECer supports the Explorer PCMs, or at least the 94 UMP1 code. You should be able to use a TwEECer or Moates QH to tune the stock PCM.

Back