Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost

I have been reading this and seeing youtube videos regarding OCCs in other Ford vehicles. Here is a good explanation and install video.

Anyway, has anyone installed one of these on a 5th Gen Ex? One of the symptoms the guy was talking about was black soot in the tailpipes. I am not that much of a mechanic but I can follow directions and the installation of the OCC plus the hoses, clamps, etc., does not look too complicated. I will have to ask Ford if doing this voids anything. I would think it would but if it keeps the engine cleaner or increases mileage, I can't imagine it would mess anything up.

Anyone done this yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyway, has anyone installed one of these on a 5th Gen Ex? One of the symptoms the guy was talking about was black soot in the tailpipes.

OCC won't help black soot accumulation. The EB is tuned fairly rich from the factory. I have a custom tune (a little less rich than OE) and still get soot, even with the OCC.

Anyone can test the effectiveness of any can against my designs. Here is a very detailed, 6 month long independent test done as well. Watch the entire video closely, and may have to watch 2-3 times to understand all:

JLT and others have excellent quality products, but there is no can the equals or exceeds our 95% plus effectiveness and with a patented design, doubt any others can without directly copying ours (as UPR did but have changed to an less expensive design again). We invite anyone to perform the same test and see....the closest any come in general is only in the 30-50% range. Not even close. The entire principle behind these systems is to stop all of the oil and other contaminates as well as provide full time evacuation, not just at idle, deceleration or very light throttle as most others. We emulate the functions of a belt driven vacuum pump but for the street as it retains a closed emissions compliant system (not in CA, no CARB cert yet) and I can further share the results of a cumulative 2 years study with a fleet of new GDI vehicles that is even more eye opening. Oil analysis showing in one instance taking existing oil already past the fuel dilution condemned levels and bringing it back into acceptable levels, etc. And yes, reduces soot on tail pipes by reducing emissions as well as the increased fuel economy due to reduced knock retard. Any technical questions, just ask and beware of the counterfeits from Mcnally and rxspeedworks!!

OCC won't help black soot accumulation. The EB is tuned fairly rich from the factory. I have a custom tune (a little less rich than OE) and still get soot, even with the OCC.
Really? From what I was reading from different mechanics, that was supposed to be a sure sign of crap not getting burnt properly. Interesting...

There are dozens of threads in other forums (no need to put links to competing forums) that show the results after running these systems and reduces the amount of soot buildup on the tips (they include pictures). I have no doubt most catchcans will not have any effect as you can see how much of the oil and other contaminates pass right through them so the benefits are limited. ANY catchcan should be better than none as even a soda can with 2 fittings in catch the same percentage as 90% of the cans on the market (empty cans with fittings). A tune as well optimizing A/F should help slightly as most are rich from the factory, but a properly working set of catalytic converters can burn as much as 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles and not smoke, but soot is increased. All be aware also of a small percentage of the HPFP pumps leak and spray raw fuel direct under the valve cover as well. There are TSB's on this.

Thanks for the good info....I will have to do think about this a bit before I do it...

Hello Forum Members: I wanted to share my experience with UPR Products and their Ecoboost catch can that I had installed this week. I was looking for a system that was high quality, plug & play, and easily returnable to stock. The UPR system does all three. I purchased three items to complete the kit: the catch can system itself (part # 5030-158-1), the inline check-valve (part # 5044-03), and the crankcase breather kit (part # 5013-01). I had done lots of research online, liked their system the best, and unbelievably discovered their shop is in my county. I called them, let them know what I had (2016 xSport) and they said, "why don't you come on down, and we'll build one for you right here on the spot". I did. After hanging with the guys for a bit and chatting Ecoboost, performance, etc, they said, what the hell, we want to add some photos for our online how-to section, and we need to get out of the office. Next thing I know the owner and two of his staff had my hood up and were building hoses and putting the system in. Without the step by step photos for their online how-to, this would have taken 10 minutes. The most stand out thing about their kits is the quality. Continental hoses, OEM fittings (no cutting your stock hose and re-using your OEM fittings), billet anodized check valve, and billet breather kit (see photos). To return to stock, all I have to do is unclip the kit, unbolt the catch can, and re-install my factory dirty side OEM PCV line- 5 minutes and done. I can't speak highly enough about this shop, the guys running it, and the factory look post installation. Check out the photos below. I added these to the forum media gallery, hopefully the short photo descriptions show up on your end as well. Hope ya'll get something out of this and helps you with your decision if you decide to install an OCC yourself. Cheers.
Here is a link to their website: http://www.uprproducts.com/ford-ecoboost.html
Here is another link for one of their installation videos (this video is for the F-150, but it gives you an idea of the look and quality of their kits):

IMG_9026.JPG

Owner of UPR products going above and beyond by installing their system on the spot.
IMG_9027.JPG

Factory PCV line, left intact as UPR uses OEM fittings on all of their lines making it completely plug & play.
IMG_9028.JPG

UPR line- note the high quality Continental hose
IMG_9029.JPG

UPR custom check valve
IMG_9030.JPG

UPR catch can assembly
IMG_9031.JPG

Wide open throttle fitting custom fit on to my Livernois intake tube
IMG_9032.JPG

Catch can installed, passenger side firewall using existing bolt location
IMG_9033.JPG

UPR breather kit with built in check valve

so anyone actually "catching" more than a teaspoon of oil every oil change on the on the econoboost 3.5s?

Thanks Peter... I decided to get the jlt system.

Mr. Lewis just returned my call and answered my questions. I was wondering if leaving the OEM line alone and installing the CSS to the airbox would affect the flow on that sensor and trigger a CEL and apparently that does happen in 50% of the installations. Their solution was to remove the sensor from the OEM line and put it into a short piece of 3/8" hose. This hose gets installed with a "T" fitting (1/2" x 1/2" x 3/8") into the line from the rear valve cover to the center port of the can. I'm going to check with Ford parts and price out a new hose. If it's reasonable I'm thinking about removing the sensor fitting from the OEM hose and installing it into the OCC dirty side hose without having to use the aftermarket "T" fitting as that might look cleaner.

Did you ever get this completed? I have the CSS (and check engine light).
Is this right? In my opinion, waste an extra $100 for CSS, and then they simply use it as a port into the dirty side. WTF?

Also, my sensor is still connected between front valve cover and intake port (as like in factory stock), but T-ed into the routing.
According to RX, they say run it that way: https://www.rxspeedworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Ecoboost-Install-Diagrams.pdf
Waiting on RX helpdesk to answer my question on above.

Hi All, the sensor in the 2015 and up should be T'd into the second outlet from the can near where that line connects to the turbo inlet there. This eliminates CEL in all cases to date. This is slightly different that we were doing them.

Also, if anyone is willing to do the "Catchcan Challenge" with the UPR model shown in the pictures above, let us know. Do it just as the other examples to be fair and equitable to all. You will see the UPR will allow close to 50% still pass through to be ingested. UPR had originally copied our can design but it appears have since dropped it and went back to the easier to manufacture design they were using. The goal of any device installed to prevent the issues all GDI engines experience is to stop it all from ingestion. The results will be eye opening to say the least. Another thing to be aware of is the high piston failure rate on all GDI engines that are forced induction (includes Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, GM 2.oT and more is caused by LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition) from the intense pressures a mixture of fuel and oil mist is pushed behind the rings and if it ignites the detonation breaks the pistons at the top ring land. This Amsoil has solved with a new formulation of all their oils now that renders this non-explosive. A proper can system also removes those vapors before they can get behind the rings in most cases also. So consider what oil your using. And RX also has the breather as an option over the cleanside separator if desired.

Instead of putting an OCC is there a way to have the PVC vent to atmosphere. I think this would solve a lot of problems...for "off-road" use.

Can this be done to the PCV?
I have no idea. I keep my vehicle stock. Perhaps someone else can answer that or check with the member who posted.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back