Running Boards YES?/NO?

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
Do you or don't you have the running boards on your Explorer and why?

Nerf Bars?
Running Boards?
Tube steps?
Something else?

Personally I took the factory running boards off because it just gives a more offroad appearance and takes some of the soccer mom appeal away. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X2
I took the factory running boards off because it just gives a more offroad appearance and takes some of the soccer mom appeal away.

X2
I took the factory running boards off because it just gives a more offroad appearance and takes some of the soccer mom appeal away.

Same as this. Plus i dont need the granny step to get into my ex.

I've taken mine off before because I thought the ex looked better this way. However I installed them back on so that I do not flatten the left side of my driver's seat cushion and wear off all of the finish of the leather as my left leg would slide over the seat getting in and out of the truck without the steps.

I could just imagine my leather seats getting torn apart over a couple years without the steps.

auto steps

The factory installed automatic steps are the best of two worlds!

You can let them work in auto mode or turn them off. When in the closed mode they appear as body trim and augment the look of the explorer.

I had a couple of times when the passenger side started staying open randomly. Dealer lubricated them and I have not experienced any trouble for the past year.

Mine fold up :D

Factory power boards FTW

Mine are on, because my 5yo can't climb in or out as easily without them. Then again, half of the time he slides out, misses it, and falls on his @$$ anyway. Maybe I should take them off. :D

i half thought about putting them back on... in fact i did... half an hour later they came back off:D

Anyone here with a lifted Explorer have running boards still installed?

I have an 06 EB lifted 2.5 in. with the truxxx lift kit... I took the running board off but it looked awfull!!.... you can see the frame of the truck and it exposes the brake lines... so I putted them back on... any comments or idea on having it look better?? :p

Like one of the previous posters said, I use factory step-bars so not to ruin the seats by sliding up on to and down off of them.

But like another poster said, I don't do "soccer mom" running boards either.

Finally, like a third poster said, if you don’t like seeing the underside of your truck, Ford makes a plastic frame hider kit that covers the frame and brakes lines, etc. As a matter of fact, I just trash-canned the kit that came with my truck. So if you’re looking for that, you might find someone who replaced their frame hider with step bars or running boards and would be willing to give the kit away.

Chris

I have an 06 EB lifted 2.5 in. with the truxxx lift kit... I took the running board off but it looked awfull!!.... you can see the frame of the truck and it exposes the brake lines... so I putted them back on... any comments or idea on having it look better?? :p

my comment on having it look better is i repainted the frame rails, yes you can see my brake lines, but after the paint work (primer/paint will spray clear on tuesday or wednesday) I think it looks better.

I can't stand them, and took them off my '06 X immediately after I bought it last year. I got tired of hitting my leg on it, and in upstate NY in the winter there is a lot of crud on the running boards, and I got tired of dirty pants. Plus, I think the X looks better. I like seeing the frame.

Factory Auto Running Boards

That is the advantage of the factory auto boards - you do not see them. Granted, I had one week of trouble with them but they work perfectly now and have for the last year. My Limited has 26k miles on it and is two years old. The technology is as old as the first time they put them on the Navigator.

I guess it depend on what you are looking for. I hate running boards but my wife needs them because of her Parkinsons Disease.

Just purchased an 07 Limited - the passenger side running board tends to stick a bit but stows easily and tightly with a little foot assistance. After glancing at your post, I'll lubricate both sides, should be good to go.

Thanks...

Ken
07LTD

Plus, I think the X looks better. I like seeing the frame.

Funny! When I had my 2003 4-door, I hated the fact that I didn't have running boards, and could see the frame. It always looked to me like Ford forgot to finish building the truck... :D

That is funny. Back in the day, I didn't know what a frame looked like, so now I thought it was cool that I could actually see it. Also, with all the snow Syracuse gets....the running boards act like snow, ice, salt, and sand magnets....they really get clogged. Each running board can carry about 25lbs of the crap in the winter.

Bah- that just makes it ride smoother. :D

Nothing rides smoother than an Ex on a snow covered road while itself covered with snow and ice. It's like a Lincoln snowmobile... lol!

Ah yes, Michigan I see. I spent 12 years in the Tug Hill snow belt east of Lake Ontario......300" annually. Nothing like driving fresh powder! Usually 20" of snow in the road is about my limit. I even removed the lower spoiler skirt for the extra ground clearance trying to keep the snow from coming up over the hood. Those were the days. Where I live now we ONLY get about 150" per year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah i took the stock running boards off too for the reason of a salt collector. I welded new rocker panels on to fix the rust and refused to drill all the mounting holes again. I didn't like the look without them either though so i bought a pair of stainless running boards (excuse me if my terminology is wrong, but they aren't Nerf bars). The aftermarket ones hang away from the body and give it a better look on my mildly lifted X.

6009_118634808931_616598931_2513703_6993183_n.jpg

Back