running boards | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

running boards

SteveO2569

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
im wanting to take the running boards off my explorer but the only thing that stops me is the fear that taking them off will cause problems with the paint or the possibility of fading paint after its off, should i take it to a body shop to do this or do u think ill be fine?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rhyno

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB
It will be fine. I took mine off after 5years and there was no problem with paint fade.

<

UtahX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Probably no paint fade, but you might have a bunch of holes to deal with (what was Ford thinking, idiots).

<

SteveO2569

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
man your right, i didnt even think about holes, how do u recommend dealin with those

<

UtahX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I plugged mine up, took about 80 plugs in different size's, then spray painted. Turned out pretty good, from a distance you cannot tell a thing. Your only other choice's would be to replace with other boards or get the panels which will probably cost you about $500 part/install/painted. I paid about $40. Good Luck

<