Running On Fumes...

Miles2022

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Ranger 4L
Hello All,
Especially geared to the Electronic/Module gurus.
I plan to convert my 93 Ranger 4x4 with 4L pushrod engine over to fuel vapor system. Fuel vapor would be introduced into the plenum just before the throttle body.
Plan to use the throttle body exactly for that... A throttle.
Will be wiring all the fuel injector ground wires into 1 wire tied into a toggle switch in the cab so I can deactivate/activate them as needed. (Read that you shouldn't
operate fuel injectors under dry conditions).
Will be running the electric fuel pump and tapping into the supply line to supply a low pressure regulator (1-5 lbs) to feed the vapor setup.
My question/questions is what modules/sensors are going to be affected by doing this? What codes are going to be generated? And what is the ECU going to try and do to counter my project? ie: Place in Limp mode etc.

Thanks for all comments. Cheers from Canada. Miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All,
Especially geared to the Electronic/Module gurus.
I plan to convert my 93 Ranger 4x4 with 4L pushrod engine over to fuel vapor system. Fuel vapor would be introduced into the plenum just before the throttle body.
Plan to use the throttle body exactly for that... A throttle.
Will be wiring all the fuel injector ground wires into 1 wire tied into a toggle switch in the cab so I can deactivate/activate them as needed. (Read that you shouldn't
operate fuel injectors under dry conditions).
Will be running the electric fuel pump and tapping into the supply line to supply a low pressure regulator (1-5 lbs) to feed the vapor setup.
My question/questions is what modules/sensors are going to be affected by doing this? What codes are going to be generated? And what is the ECU going to try and do to counter my project? ie: Place in Limp mode etc.

Thanks for all comments. Cheers from Canada. Miles.
Very interesting. You'll find all the answers you need if you post this in an appropriate forum. Welcome.

I’d try a less clever title.

Welcome Miles! I wasn’t sure which section to move your thread into, this one seemed the best match, rather than the Ranger section or any other. If you feel it would be better served in any other section, let me know and I’ll move it there.

Welcome Miles! I wasn’t sure which section to move your thread into, this one seemed the best match, rather than the Ranger section or any other. If you feel it would be better served in any other section, let me know and I’ll move it there.
Thanks, seems great. New to the site. ☺

But what if I could get your Explorer up to 50 - 100 mpg? Would you be so smug then?
no, no. hust the phrasing makes one think youre running the truck on empty, or insufficient fuel pressure, etc.

I was actually trying to be helpful, so you’d get more appropriate views. The majority of people are going to think you have a fuel supply issue, and probably not even look.

Oh, and you went smug? There’s not a chance going to get 100mpg out of an Explorer on gas alone. Maybe for short stretches of highway when you’re already rolling. But you have no chance of getting
2,000 miles out of a single tank.

I was actually trying to be helpful, so you’d get more appropriate views. The majority of people are going to think you have a fuel supply issue, and probably not even look.

Oh, and you went smug? There’s not a chance going to get 100mpg out of an Explorer on gas alone. Maybe for short stretches of highway when you’re already rolling. But you have no chance of getting
Didn't say I was out of gas. You made an assumption. One needs gas to create fumes. An empty gas tank creates squat..😀

All I can say is standby for my results. Been researching for 20 years and I've finally nailed it. Regards.

Or, you could just post these amazing results and how they were come by.

All I can say is standby for my results. Been researching for 20 years and I've finally nailed it. Regards.
Conflict aside, just jumping in. It reminds me of the 'gasification' of burning wood done by people in WW2 when gas was scarce. They did get trucks to run on the gas vapors produced. Besides the computers in a '93 Ex, curious about how all the pollution controls would react. And any effect of the different mode of combustion on the engine. Will be standing by for the results, quite interesting.

Other people have tried this in the past and reported that at first the fuel vapor was highly flammable and after half the fuel vaporized it wasn't nearly as flammable.

How long do I need to wait. I mean, I got things to do here.

So. Where’s these amazing results?

Conflict aside, just jumping in. It reminds me of the 'gasification' of burning wood done by people in WW2 when gas was scarce. They did get trucks to run on the gas vapors produced. Besides the computers in a '93 Ex, curious about how all the pollution controls would react. And any effect of the different mode of combustion on the engine. Will be standing by for the results, quite interesting.
If you ever watch the Discovery show Mountain Men, Uestes ( spelling ?) from NC built one of those systems a couple of years ago and actually ran a pick up truck on it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably still running on a single tank of fuel.
need all cali Xs to run on this stuff now! the only thing a tank lasts this long on is the lawnmower!

Back