Running rich

Kevinh71047

Reaction score
City, State
Tenaha texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 EXPLORER eddie Bauer
I have a 93 EXPLORER eddie Bauer 4.0

Whats going on is it s idling rough running to rich drinks lots of gas.changed plugs feul filter oxygen sensors maf sensor with new pigtail I did a eec test my codes is 157 and 998. It did do ok till about a few weeks ago till my light stays on. But even It went off and on my rpm gauge jumped and feels like it ain't shifting into last gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were any of the plugs “cleaner” than the other? You could have a sticking fuel injector. If your CEL is flashing you probably have a misfire.

My plugs Are clean I have not checked the injectors what did you mean my cell light. Check engine light is always on.

Were any of the plugs “cleaner” than the other? You could have a sticking fuel injector. If your CEL is flashing you probably have a misfire.

What if I used gumout complete duel cleaner but I already used a bottle of this about a few weeks ago

If you find one plug cleaner than the rest it often points to a coolant leak in that cylinder, or a sticking injector. CEL=check engine light. If you clear the codes do they come right back? How old are the wires?

If you find one plug cleaner than the rest it often points to a coolant leak in that cylinder, or a sticking injector. CEL=check engine light. If you clear the codes do they come right back? How old are the wires?

Yes the light comes back on.

Well the plugs ain't to old and the spark plug are not wet just got a little carbon is all.

I’d check the MAF wiring. The plugs likely wouldn’t be wet. How old are the wires?

You checked it all the way back to the computer? I’d check the MAF with a multimeter.

If MAF checks out and ALL the wiring ( not just the connector) is good you probably need a new computer.

If MAF checks out and ALL the wiring ( not just the connector) is good you probably need a new computer.

Well weeks just looked at the pc and it don't have a black wire on it to test it or does that black wire go somewhere else

check your o2 senser
roscoe

Are you sure they are correct? Did you get the upstream and downstream ones in the correct place?

Yes they are in th e right place

Since you have checked everything and are sure it’s good in the harness and the sensors, I’d grab a junkyard computer for your model year and drivetrain package. I’m not sure what else it could be.

What a drivetrain package

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plus my koeo says Hard faults present. And it say limp mode

Back