Running rough, no power, lots of codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running rough, no power, lots of codes

Rusty Catheter

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Hello, this is my first post- I've spent several hours reading.

My Explorer has been sitting in the shed for 8 years. I pulled it out and got it back to life (pulled a huge rats nest out of the air cleaner). I've put about 300 miles on it shaking it down.

It's running rough- not much power on hills. Here's what I've done: Battery, MAF cleaning, IAC cleaning, starter rebuild, new starter relay, air filter, oil change, plugs, and wires. I pulled codes, and noticed the CEL was not on, so I learned how to take the instrument cluster out to replace bulbs. So here are many years' worth of codes (I'm new at the code thing- feel like I am watching Mr. Ed count with foot clomps)

KOEO: 57 (hard fault)
CM: 14,66,95,96
KOER: 13,77. (thought I hit the throttle, but....)

I understand the idle problem- the IAC looked pretty beaten.
I am guessing the MAF needs to be replaced, but wanted to know what you thought before I blow $80.

Thanks all,

Rusty.
1991 Explorer 4wd, XLT, 154,000mi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a nice list. SOP when resolving codes is to resolve KOEO codes first. Even though I don't expect it to improve your symptoms, I'd probably start with the KOEO 57, and resolve the fault in the Park/Neutral Position circuit.

The KOER 13 is probably not very useful, in that it simply means that the engine was running rough during the KOER test (but you didn't need the computer to tell you that).

For the KOER 77, if there's doubt about whether you goosed the throttle at the right time, repeat the KOER test, paying close attention to the goose pulse.

At some point, I'd clear CM, take it for a test drive, and see which of those codes came back.

Rusty- the MAF may just need to be cleaned- get a can of contact cleaner, and spray it down before you drop $80 on a new one, they shouldn't go bad just sitting, it's probably just way dusted over.

Did you inspect all of the truck for rats chewing wiring?

I agree on the clear/start over... Might be worth a shot, but you probably just got them since you had to have reinstalled the battery, no?

Thanks guys, I cleaned the MAF once, maybe I'll try it again. She was dirty. I'll look her over for chewed wires too. I think I'll clear codes, drive it a little, and try again.

Shorty, what should I do with KOEO 57? It's a 5 speed manual, BTW. Some of the other codes can be explained as the temp gauge is broken, and the gas gauge is broken. If I could just get it to run right, I'd be happy.

Does the IAC affect anything but idling?

Thanks again,

Rusty

Shorty, what should I do with KOEO 57? It's a 5 speed manual, BTW
While it usually normally triggers a KOEO 67, the PCM checks the neutral switch during the KOEO test, expecting to see the transmission in N. If you perform the KOEO test with the transmission in gear, you will get a code for the neutral position switch.

still chasing the gremlins. I got a KOER 41 so I changed the Oxygen sensor- it now runs worse, and I've got these codes:

KOEO: 67
CM:41
KOER: 41,13

I am wondering if it's the fuel pressure (which I havent checked yet) or the coil pack. Which would you guys check first? I will have to purchase a fuel pressure checker.

Thanks,

Make mine Rusty

In addition to checking fuel pressure, I'd check the wiring between the PCM and the O2 sensor. Make sure it hasn't got pinched or burned or cut or chewed on by mice.

Back