Rust beginning to show. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust beginning to show.

As most explorers do, I am beginning to get rust on the bottom of my door. It is not all the way through. It is slight but you can see it beginning to appear. I plan to sand down the paint and rust. Is there any products you recommand to help prevent the rust becoming a further problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most definitely sand, make sure the rusted area you can't take to metal is free of all moisture and throw on some of this stuff:

http://www.por15.com/

Used it on the Hatch of my Mustang, and last I know it was 3 years now, and nothing has come back... :thumbsup:

Most definitely sand, make sure the rusted area you can't take to metal is free of all moisture and throw on some of this stuff:

http://www.por15.com/

Used it on the Hatch of my Mustang, and last I know it was 3 years now, and nothing has come back... :thumbsup:

Thanks. Thats exactly the kind of product I was looking for.

It works really well if done correctly. Heck- if it can save a Mustang hatch... :D

I used a prodict called "Tie Coat Primer" which is also sold by POR-15. The POR-15 will convert, seal, and "re-surface" the rust. Sanding it down would pretty much defeat it. You may need to build the surface up if it is pitted, and then prime with the TCP- It keeps the paints from penetrating the POR-15 product.

Here is the link to the Tie-Coat instructions. All of the sheets are on the POR-15 website... CLICK ME

I used a prodict called "Tie Coat Primer" which is also sold by POR-15. The POR-15 will convert, seal, and "re-surface" the rust. Sanding it down would pretty much defeat it. You may need to build the surface up if it is pitted, and then prime with the TCP- It keeps the paints from penetrating the POR-15 product.

Here is the link to the Tie-Coat instructions. All of the sheets are on the POR-15 website... CLICK ME

Cool, thanks!

Back