• Register Today It's free!

Rust inside my engine?

Mumbl3s

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So after putting my engine together I got it running but it's been running rough, like misfire, pops and bangs out the exhaust, and it almost overheated. So after a night of some beer and a lot of Johnny cash (possibly the other way around) I've tried diagnosing but it led me to pulling the cylinder headsand well this is what I found;

20180208_215827.jpg
20180208_215840.jpg
20180208_215847.jpg

So the question is, what the heck is this!? I'm checking to see if it's flat after I get off work tonight because I think it might be the water and coolant cleaner I used to flush the system leaking into the cylinders.

The previous owner was using two of those rubber freeze plugs which is the reason why I pulled the motor originally, he might have over heated the moter causing it to warp but I wouldn't have noticed till I pull the heads off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that looks like coolant has been leaking into your cylinders. Did you notice any coolant in the cylinders? How did your head gaskets look?

I'm not even going to guess what the junk in there is from, but it looks like you have multiple burned valves (could just be the pictures), and the crack on cylinder 3 certainly isn't helping.

Might as well do the rings also

So after further inspection I found out the heads and block are warped, I have a buddy with a 2.3l out of a ranger.

So the question is, fix the 4.0, swap the 2.3 or scrap the whole thing.

You don't scrap 1st gens anymore, they're getting too rare and will only go up in value.

Outside of the turbo'ed one on the SVO's and Super Coupes, the 2.3 isn't that good (sorry, my opinion) and an Explorer would be really doggy with it. I mean sure it could be done, but if I were going to go work to do a swap it would not be with the Ranger 2.3. I'd consider a 5.0 at this point, plentiful (read=cheaper and available) parts due to the Mustang / Explorer / etc. use, and stronger transmission options.

Another option is another OHV, but their drivelines aren't as good as the V8's. I really think in the long run money-wise the 5.0 is superior to the OHV V6 also, since there is so much aftermarket support for the 5.0/302.

If you really want to spend the $$ there is a new turbo diesel kit out there too. It's a small diesel similar in displacement to that Ranger engine, but really torquey.

How did you determine the block was warped? You certainly don't want a 2.3 in there. A used 4.0 would be a good move.

Back