• Register Today It's free!

Rust Issues?

shutmdown

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford PIU
Just picked up a 2018 PIU and it only has about 5k miles on it and noticed a couple of odd things about it today. There's a bit of rust on the axle and the exhaust hangers.
Also noticed a weird burning smell after parking her in the garage.

Anybody know what the corrosion warranty/coverage is on the PIU?

Also, anyone experience a weird burning smell (doesn't smell like oil, maybe plastic or another fluid...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rust starts to occur as soon as the vehicle leaves the factory. In my opinion it's perfectly normal. As for the smell, are you sure it doesn't smell like exhaust fumes? Did you notice it inside or outside of the vehicle.

Peter
Noticed it immediately outside of the vehicle. I've seen the CO leak issues and hopefully this car doesn't have any of those issues.

Noticed it immediately outside of the vehicle. I've seen the CO leak issues and hopefully this car doesn't have any of those issues.
Probably not that issue then. BTW, I added to my first post.

Peter

Mine is in the shop today for a slow leak around the axel and PTU axle seal that then drip fluid straight on to the exhaust and gives mine a burning oil kind of smell when idling (inside the car) or when you first hop out. Mine has 100k miles so many more miles that your 5k, but check to see if anything is dripping onto the exhaust and burning off. Mine was all burning off for a while and never dripping on the ground so it wasn't obvious I had an obvious leak at first.

Mine is in the shop today for a slow leak around the axel and PTU axle seal that then drip fluid straight on to the exhaust and gives mine a burning oil kind of smell when idling (inside the car) or when you first hop out. Mine has 100k miles so many more miles that your 5k, but check to see if anything is dripping onto the exhaust and burning off. Mine was all burning off for a while and never dripping on the ground so it wasn't obvious I had an obvious leak at first.
Taking it in this weekend to have them inspect it. Wife drove the car today and left the HVAC on, got in the car flipped the key twice and was getting ready to turn the car over when I noticed the smell again pretty faint coming through the HVAC system...

There’s no rust in that photo that would even be covered. That CV bell could continue to rust for the next 50 years, and be fine. Long after the truck is in the scrapyard for other serious issues.

Dealership called and said that I had a leak at the compressor causing that smell.

The AC compressor?

Yep. Apparently it was a seal leaking on the AC compressor so they're replacing the whole compressor.
not advised, but some people enjoy huffing refrigerant - lol.. glad they found it and covered the repair!

got a call today that they're also going to cover the rust... First time owning a Ford and I'm very pleased with their Service Dept and their coverage.

.10 worth of rustoleum later it’s “covered”.

Back