Rust proofing/undercoating 08 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust proofing/undercoating 08 limited

taranmalhi

Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited AWD
Hey everybody,

I got a 08 Limited Ex and it's now starting to see some surface rust on the frame! I had a few paint bubbles on the door panels forming alongside the bottom, but I made sure I took care of that asap with Duplicolours Undercoating which is a rubberized finish. The welds on the frame are starting to see some surface rust and so is the trailer hitch. I looked underneath the suv last year and it was fine. So the procedure that I have thought about is using a wire brush to sand down the rust, and then undercoat the whole frame with a good 4 - 5 layers! I'm wondering if anybody else has done this before? How tedious of a job is it? And how long will it take me to do so! If you have your own method to dealing with rust, please share!

I am guessing it could be from the salt sprayed on the road during the winter.

I usually spray underneath with Linseed Oil a couple of times a year. Undercoating can trap moisture inside. You're going to have some surface rust- trying to have absolutely no undercarriage/frame rust at all in Ontario is going to drive you nuts....

You can use POR-15 or Rust Bullet, or the Eastwood products, but there isn't any way that you can eliminate everything unless you start taking stuff apart and painting inside.

I went out and purchased all the products I needed to do the job. I'm lucky that it's surface rust and the frame's still holding up. Simple spray and wipe, then apply coats of undercoat. I'll take photos for before and after results.

Back