Rust Quarter Panels and Rockers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust Quarter Panels and Rockers

Looking for some help on repairing the quarters. The rockers i was planning to use counter sunk rivets with slip on rockers then use body putty to blend them in.

I took the flares off. Id rather not have them but this is what was underneath. Ignore the bent portion that was from a wheel falling off before i owned it.

Should i buy front fenders, cut out the wheel arch, and french them in?

Nobody makes quarters for a 2 door.

Attachments

• 20160615_204849.jpg
    20160615_204849.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 278
  • 20160615_204407.jpg
    20160615_204407.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 186

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you asking if you should cut a fender to make it a quarter panel ?

I really don't think they are the same contour. I could be wrong though.

Yeah I would be surprised if they are the same contour.

Is this for a D.D. or a trail rig ?
What is your desired result ?
What kind of longevity are you seeking ?

You'd probably be better off buying rear quarters from a 4 door and trying to modify them to work. Probably be a closer match than trying to use a front fender

Seeing that quarters even for a 4 door are getting very hard to find (i cant find driver side at all) that may not work well unfortunately. you may be able to modify them some. I used rear dogleg repair panels to fix the bottom front fenders on my explorer because its what i had laying around. they came out pretty good. no one seems to notice the slight difference in shape. just depends on how much time you want to put into it and how much skill you have with a welder and sheet metal working..

mJdksK3.jpg

Fr68yp1.jpg

They got painted gloss black after and you really cant even tell. but this small area took like 4 hours to do not including waiting for body filler and paint to dry and cure.. but basically only cost like 10 bucks for materials but the dogleg panels were only sort of close and had to be worked a lot to get the right shape..

IF you can find the 4 door quarter panels. they would be your best bet to try and make fit, but by the looks, with enough work you could probably make a driver side front fender fit the passenger side rear quarter and vice versa..

Back