Rust removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust removal

So I am thinking of painting my truck cause it it is looking pretty bad. However my hood and fenders have a bit of a problem. They have rust spots all over them. What is the best way to prep this to paint it. It will not be getting a fancy paint job and doesnt need to be perfect. I just dont want the rust coming back through.

Here is a pic of the corner of the hood. You will notice how the corner isnt as bad. I took a post form 410 fortune where he said something about vinegar to help get ride of it. I rubbed some on and it got rid of some of it but there is still some in the area that I sampled with vinegar.

Attachments

• paint-vinigar.jpg
    paint-vinigar.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 286

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

too get rid of it forever..well of what you have, sand it down to bare metal, primer it, sand it, paint it. Im no pro but thats what i did on my old blazer. hope i helped..doubt it though

That is more then I really want to do but I guess if I had to I could. Heck the bed already has a few dents and the drivers door is caved in pretty good. That was all done in like 5 wheeling trips. I want it look decent from about 20ft away. Heck will be getting painted with some of home depots finest spraypaint.

Auto zone and I think Advanced auto sell this new thing called a Sandblaster. It fits on your high speed grinder with a 7/8 arbor. It comes with the adapter and 3 different grit sanding wheels. They come in 2 different styles. One for really rough work and for shaping metal. And then the one that I used to sand down the paint and prep for painting. It also has 3 different grits. With the finest making it super smooth if you want to go that fine. It is super fast and would make short work of that mostly surface rust. It's not a sandpaper thing but some kind of 3m material. Try it and I'm sure you'll like it.

If I can find time between repainting the dash so much I might do a review. :D

Matt, I did not know that was rust when I saw the yellow hood in your other thread! hahah I thought it was like acid rain yellow, or yellowing like my boat hull gets hahaha.
I am amazed the solution did that much damage to the rust!

What about a new hood?
The BII body needs attention I am about to tackle all my rust and re-do everything Maaco jacked up 6 years ago....then paint

This thingy from the Zone sounds interesting Rookie, how much approx??
I wonder what HF has in the way of body work tools.......hmm

Matt, I would say try some of that rust killer paint. Or you could try this stuff and let us know how it works :D Evapo-Rust I wonder if it really works :rolleyes:

IMG_1952.jpg

Hey, thats the first i ever heard about vinegar. Thats a good tip. That thingy from auto zone is about $10.00. Here's a pic of those pads I was talking about. The're like some kind of Scotch brite pad.

that looks worse than it really is.

yeah sand and prime is by far your best plan of attack. Messy, job but by far the best plan.

That said, the current state can go rather quickly. So I would not waste too much time.

Just order a fiberglass hood :D

yeah that will make the rust go away too :thumbsup:

I am thinking of going with something like Rookie posted up and try to hit a bunch of it. Then give it a coat of rattle can primer. After that hit it with rattle can color of choice. Anywhere rust reapears to a bit of touch up with a bit of sanding, primer, paint. Im going for the 50 50 paint job. Looks decent 50 ft away as it goes past you at 50 mph. Maybe I will stick tracy on the task. Im not sure I have the paintence to spend all that time sanding.

You know you could get another hood at the junk yard for $25 bucks :rolleyes: I saw a door I almost snaged for you today, but there were already some dents in it. :(

Back