Rust repair with fiberglass? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust repair with fiberglass?

So I really don't have any access to a welder, anybody who has one, and I don't know anybody with a shop that I trust, so welding new dog legs on are out of the question, they are not horrible, but there are a few dime sized holes, and one quarter sized holes by the rear wheel well.... I am wondering how much success anybody has had with fixing rust holes with fiberglass? I am thinking about cutting out the real bad stuff, then doing a nice coat of primer over it, roughing it up then glassing over that, I am getting real tired of seeing the rust everyday. I have done some research and have read a lot of things about people having issues with bonding fiberglass to metal, and having it stay on there for a long amount of time. So what should I do?

99% of the time Explorer rocker rust is from the inside out.
It will be far more than cutting out the dime and quarter sized hole.
The ONLY WAY for lasting rust prevention is to completely ALL the rusted area.
Any thing else is a temporary fix.

99% of the time Explorer rocker rust is from the inside out.
It will be far more than cutting out the dime and quarter sized hole.
The ONLY WAY for lasting rust prevention is to completely ALL the rusted area.
Any thing else is a temporary fix.

Well here is my plan entirely... Maybe it might last a little while longer then the average repair. I plan on undercoating the entire underside in POR15, including the already rusted area, with the exception of the dog legs, I will be cutting out the worst, and then after applying the POR15 I will then fiberglass, mainly, because I don't have any access to the correct tools for replacing the panels with metal. To be honest this is the worst of the rust, and really the only rust, with the exception of the surface rust on the under side of the hatch by the vents. You clearly know your body work, so I would really enjoy an honest opinion on how well you think my repair will work, now that I have gone in depth about it. because other then helping bang out dents on my dads racecar this the most I have ever done for body work.

Fibreglass will not stick to metal no matter how you prep it. A few months of normal road vibrations and your patch will 'delaminate' and fall off.
I have had MINIMAL success with grinding the rotted areas, tapping them in about a 1/4", then filling with short strand fibre enforsed body filler but as soon as moisture, oil gets in or the rust gets worse it will bubble and look worse than the few holes you have now. As MONMIX said it's only temporary, and will last anywhere from 3mths to a couple years. Not a method I would strongly recommend.

You can however buy 'panel adhesive' and glue new steel on. being the these vehicles are full frame the rocker/doglegs are not structural and can be glued on. just make sure you cut out the entire rusted area and follow the instructions on the adhesive to the letter, it is fickle stuff.

Back