• Register Today It's free!

Rust: To fix or not to fix

4X4Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB V6
I currently have an 02 explorer that can't get a sticker due to rusty rocker panels and a rusty wheel well. I got quoted at $1200 to do a non-fitted fix on the wheel well and rocker panels (not OEM I believe). For the rocker panels, it was only for about half of the outer on both sides and part of the inner on one side.. The frame has surface rust and flakey rust in some spots. The car has about 5k in it and everything works MINT, but it has rust. I also called another shop and got quoted at 1700-2200 for rocker panel repair. The wheel well on the other side seems fine, and I can't really tell how the front two are doing but I imagine they're fine. I have had a for sale ad up on craigslist for about a month at 2500 and have got absolutely NOTHING. I have no idea what to do.. I absolutely love this car and it's a beast in the winter :(:(:(:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have to have it inspected every year?
Bob T
:usa:

There's a time to cut losses even on those things we love or enjoy. I am fixing mine, but I am already looking for it's replacement in the south and will transport something up. trouble is, so many are such high mileage. The most recent explorer of this style is already 6 model years old. I think the 02-05s are the nicest style and would love to have 3-4 in stock just to last me as long as I need.

I feel you on the issue.

My 2nd gen runs great and I've put a lot of work into it. But the Maine winters have rotted the rockers out. It won't take a sticker any longer. The cost to repair the rust far exceeds what it's worth.

Been trying to dump it on Craigslist for 2 months now.

Dumping on Craigslist for 1st & 2nd Gens is less than $600.
3rd Gen, 2002 with any issue what's so ever, better be under $1500. Now that yours has $1200 in body work, might as well offer it up for $500.

'02's are a dime a dozen nowadays. '03's will be that way in a year or so.

I'm not sure what the 5k is you put in it, but you ought to look down south for a replacement and use yours as a parts car.

How stupid is it that you can't get a sticker because of rust. Just stupid. And what, it's caused by the salt or road treatments the city/county puts down? Maybe they should be footing the bill.

Yes, it must be inspected every year and must pass certain body requirements. Most of the money is in the transmission, then tires, and the sound system, then the rest is random parts that it's needed. I'm starting to think it's not worth it to sell it, becuase I'll get $1000 if I'm lucky. Oh, and I've looked at every single possible rust free explorer within 300 miles that's in my price range. I'm thinking about just going balls to the wall and coughing up $2000 to have a full rocker panel job done, becuase once I do that there's no going back. I'm going to have it professionally undercoat it, and I also want to remove all the trim and stop any fender rust before it gets bad. I'm also a commuting college student, so every day I don't have a car is hard on me an my parents. I have about $2,400 in the bank so even if I sold this for $1,500 I couldn't afford ****. Any decent SUV/truck with minimal rust and good mechanical condition is at least $5000. And YES! We should get some type of settlement from the literally MILLIONS of dollars worth of damage that salt does across the U.S. It's absolutely ridiculous!

Don't live up north. Cars in Texas last forever... Also, remember to thank the government for the biggest scam in history! Cash for Clunkers people!

And YES! We should get some type of settlement from the literally MILLIONS of dollars worth of damage that salt does across the U.S. It's absolutely ridiculous!

And if they didn't put salt on the road what would the damage be?:eek:

Dumping on Craigslist for 1st & 2nd Gens is less than $600.
3rd Gen, 2002 with any issue what's so ever, better be under $1500. Now that yours has $1200 in body work, might as well offer it up for $500.

'02's are a dime a dozen nowadays. '03's will be that way in a year or so.

I'm not sure what the 5k is you put in it, but you ought to look down south for a replacement and use yours as a parts car.

How stupid is it that you can't get a sticker because of rust. Just stupid. And what, it's caused by the salt or road treatments the city/county puts down? Maybe they should be footing the bill.

Salts a killer up here in the North, but it's needed, and has definitely saved lives. Yes it sucks for us car/truck guys, as it eats away at the truck, but all at the expensive of saving lives of people.

Also quite a few states up here require your body to be sound in order to get an inspection sticker - if they find any weak points, especially on the frame, they won't pass you.

Do you have to have it inspected every year?
Bob T

Salts a killer up here in the North, but it's needed, and has definitely saved lives. Yes it sucks for us car/truck guys, as it eats away at the truck, but all at the expensive of saving lives of people.

Also quite a few states up here require your body to be sound in order to get an inspection sticker - if they find any weak points, especially on the frame, they won't pass you.

I agree, salt does save lives, but it should be used much less. I don't see the point of salt if we're getting a foot of snow, but if there's an ice storm, or anything involving ice than salt is definitely necessary. But most of the time it's just snow, and sand does fine almost all of the time. Putting salt down when we're getting 12 inches of snow doesn't help anybody :thumbdwn:

The only reason that I asked if the inspection is every year is that the OP will be dealing with it again next year. If they find any more rust next year then you need to spend more money or try and get rid of the vehicle.
Bob T

The only reason that I asked if the inspection is every year is that the OP will be dealing with it again next year. If they find any more rust next year then you need to spend more money or try and get rid of the vehicle.
Bob T

Not exactly. It's only a poblem if there's a lot of rot. My car passed last year with small holes in the rocker panels.

You guys should see what is allowed in NY o_O

NY should adopt tighter guidelines

Or make more PLASTIC cars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Bob T

More selection at the wrecking yards?
Inappropriate or not, I laughed pretty good at that.

I think that's a real valid concern. It's called cancer for a reason. Once the rust starts, it's usually a long, losing battle unless you really throw some money at it. And then it's only a matter of time until you're back to square one. It'd be a real shame to throw all that money into the current rust issues only to have new ones appear next time or your current ones reappear. If only the areas you mentioned are affected, then you can think about dropping the money, but its terrifying how fast rust can snowball...

NY should adopt tighter guidelines

I don't agree with that. Some people can barely afford what they do have... Want to swamp them some more? Also, NY adopted CARB emissions so yay we have to hold that standard... Thanks over controlling gov't...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Inappropriate or not, I laughed pretty good at that.

I think that's a real valid concern. It's called cancer for a reason. Once the rust starts, it's usually a long, losing battle unless you really throw some money at it. And then it's only a matter of time until you're back to square one. It'd be a real shame to throw all that money into the current rust issues only to have new ones appear next time or your current ones reappear. If only the areas you mentioned are affected, then you can think about dropping the money, but its terrifying how fast rust can snowball...

Very true! We are taking our 07 Suburban in for rust work. It just started this past winter (motor died in February, it sat for 6 months!) and the rust has already bubbled up like crazy! The bottom of every panel has rust starting and 07 and up suburbans are known for door sill rusting.. Yup got that too..

Back