Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
My sister got a dirt Cheap 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 for $500. Here it is:

104,000 miles
Leather Seats

The 4wd motor went, but came with a new one in box. Wipers didn't work, found out only a wire was broken, replaced. Needed new pads, got some ceramics on it now.

Has rust on the bottom half of all of the doors(hatch is rust and bondo free). The door frame at the bottom is rotted on all sides. I have bought replacements and they are ready to be riveted or fiberglassed in(don't feel like welding).

How do you all think I should handle the painting once the bondo is done? I told my sister it would look pretty good if she went two tone with her paint, seeing as all of the body work is below where an Explorer is stock two toned. I want the bottom to be flat black, so she doesn't get ripped off on sprayable paint for a $500 vehicle.

She does feel kind of bad because at 18, I own whats in my signature, and no, my parents didn't pay for squat.(BTW - The Triumph and Saturn are for sale)

GT6

Sounds like a good buy!
Ceramic pads will eat through the stock rotors QUICKLY. Although they do stop well :)

I found performance friction carbon metallics to be the best bet on the front brakes.

Don't throw out that shift motor if you haven't already. It's probably just the bushing on the gear inside, its an easy fix and if the replacement has the same bushing as the stock motor, you will want to have a spare.

Back