• Register Today It's free!

Rust!!!!

explorer1988

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Another quick question, I am in the midst of painting my brake calipers, and noticed the axles and everything under my X and around the wheel well are pretty rusted over (97 XLT). Any suggestions on covering up/removing the rust? Is it as easy as spray paint? Thanks! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vancouver... snow? salt on roads? if so, long task ahead i suspect. it may just be as easy as spray paint, but i'd search for tips on salt rust.

:salute:i live in ny....home of F*@#'n road salt!!!!! the under is......not clean. in my personal sugestion.......just let it go. my bro baught a pathfinder and tried to clean up the underneith and shorty after everything he "de-rusted" rusted even faster including the frame......if u want to clean it up: get some of the rust off via wire brush etc then prime it. paint afterwards if u choose

POR-15 Google it, this stuff is amazing paint.

I suggest looking at the rear metal brake line that runs across the rear axle. On rusty Explorers that lines rusts out and will eventually give you a no brakes situation.

Back