Rust! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust!

That weld is horrendous. My guess is that they didn’t use weld through primer, and put that disgusting weld down without anything but topcoat and clear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That weld is horrendous. My guess is that they didn’t use weld through primer, and put that disgusting weld down without anything but topcoat and clear.
I thought at first those were bubbles caused by the rusting! If in fact that is a weld, it is a very poor job. My welds in grade 9 industrial class were much better than that. :)

Peter

So, Ford paid for skins for both read doors. Ex was about 18 months old at the time. Spring cleaning this weekend: rust is back.
Both rear doors?

Both rear doors?
Yup. The initial repair and now.

RR.jpg

RL.jpg

I've been having major concerns about rust on my 2017 Explorer. All four doors have it, and the hood area seems to have it pretty bad as well... just noticed the first spot forming on the roof as well. I thought maybe it was because the vehicle started its life in Canada where they likely use more salt and have more foul weather, but was debating if I should see if Ford might be able to do anything or not. My guess is not. Debated selling it (and would disclose the rust of course) but don't really have the money for another vehicle now, especially with the car market at the moment.
I do detailing as a side gig, and recently had another 2017 Explorer sport in - same exact color as mine, but with only about 20,000 miles. His even had a clear bra on it. Underneath the clear bra, along the front line of the hood, plain as day, rust forming there as well. He thought it was bubbling from the bra, I pointed out mine. Sad, the vehicle is only a few years old.

I've been having major concerns about rust on my 2017 Explorer. All four doors have it, and the hood area seems to have it pretty bad as well... just noticed the first spot forming on the roof as well. I thought maybe it was because the vehicle started its life in Canada where they likely use more salt and have more foul weather, but was debating if I should see if Ford might be able to do anything or not. My guess is not. Debated selling it (and would disclose the rust of course) but don't really have the money for another vehicle now, especially with the car market at the moment.
I do detailing as a side gig, and recently had another 2017 Explorer sport in - same exact color as mine, but with only about 20,000 miles. His even had a clear bra on it. Underneath the clear bra, along the front line of the hood, plain as day, rust forming there as well. He thought it was bubbling from the bra, I pointed out mine. Sad, the vehicle is only a few years old.
The hood is aluminum and therefore what you are seeing is not rust but corrosion. This is a known issue and as mentioned in your warranty guide, this is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage. There is also a recent TSB on it. The hood should be replaced.

Peter

Thanks, going to take the explorer in next time I get an opportunity to see if they'll honor it...

I recommend inspecting all door weather trim and seals for rips and cracks. Also any excessive panel gap around the door will let in water etc and it will trap right where yours is rusted.

My rear hatch and hood have some slight bubbling. Is it better to just get a new hood than try to repair the aluminum? The very bottom of my doors have some scaly rust too.

On a side note - I bought some POR15 and roloc sanding discs to clean up the brown rusty rear subframe. All of the factory coating has peeled and looks like a GM truck frame 😆

................................. Is it better to just get a new hood than try to repair the aluminum?...................................
The TSB mentions hood replacement. Repairing will only result in the issue coming back. The hoods were not properly prepared at the factory.

Peter

Thanks, going to take the explorer in next time I get an opportunity to see if they'll honor it...
Just as an update... I took it into the local ford dealership... they looked at the hood and agreed it'd be something able to be warrantied. They looked at the rear doors, which had corrosion at the seam for both doors, and felt it'd likely be covered by warranty, but they'd never done an explorer with that condition before so weren't sure what all it would need - recommended I go to another nearby dealership that had a body shop as part of the business, which I did yesterday. They agreed the hood would need replaced, and likely the doors would need replaced as well. I also pointed out some rust spots that were forming on the roof - the lady at the local dealership had said she figured they were caused by rock chips and wouldn't be covered, but the other body shop looked at them and saw several "corroding" spots starting from underneath the paint, so it couldn't all be from damage, and even if rocks had hit the roof at some point, they shouldn't be rusting in the way they were... so there is a decent chance it'll require a new roof as well. The roof requires extensive work, obviously, because you have to basically take the entire interior apart, take off the windshield and tailgate, and dismantle much of the body of the vehicle in order to replace it.
They took lots of photos and were going to start the process with Ford. Glad I heard about the warranty and brought it in, because the build date of the explorer is actually five years away next month. Not sure if they do the 5 year warranty from build date or first purchase, but either way, glad I got the ball rolling... would hate to have to pay for this stuff myself.
Part of me wonders if the cost of the body work gets too high, if they might just total the explorer and cut me a check for it or something.

Dont know about the roof but the doors can be re-skinned without total replacement and ive seen that done under warranty. The hood will be replaced. My car has one very tiny pit mark above the windshield smaller than a dime and it definitely looks like paint corrosion underneath.

Just as an update... I took it into the local ford dealership... they looked at the hood and agreed it'd be something able to be warrantied. They looked at the rear doors, which had corrosion at the seam for both doors, and felt it'd likely be covered by warranty, but they'd never done an explorer with that condition before so weren't sure what all it would need - recommended I go to another nearby dealership that had a body shop as part of the business, which I did yesterday. They agreed the hood would need replaced, and likely the doors would need replaced as well. I also pointed out some rust spots that were forming on the roof - the lady at the local dealership had said she figured they were caused by rock chips and wouldn't be covered, but the other body shop looked at them and saw several "corroding" spots starting from underneath the paint, so it couldn't all be from damage, and even if rocks had hit the roof at some point, they shouldn't be rusting in the way they were... so there is a decent chance it'll require a new roof as well. The roof requires extensive work, obviously, because you have to basically take the entire interior apart, take off the windshield and tailgate, and dismantle much of the body of the vehicle in order to replace it.
They took lots of photos and were going to start the process with Ford. Glad I heard about the warranty and brought it in, because the build date of the explorer is actually five years away next month. Not sure if they do the 5 year warranty from build date or first purchase, but either way, glad I got the ball rolling... would hate to have to pay for this stuff myself.
Part of me wonders if the cost of the body work gets too high, if they might just total the explorer and cut me a check for it or something.
They just might buy you out instead of repairing it. Body work is expensive and what they will be doing is very expensive. Frankly, I wouldn't want to keep it because taking off the roof might leave you with other issues down the road. Also, there might be other rust issues in places you can't see that will come to light after the warranty ends.

The hood should be covered as mentioned in the Warranty Guide under Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion.
As for the other issues, it is not that simple. Here is what the Warranty Guide says. Mind you that this is from the Canadian version but would also apply to you.

1631286754286.png

If the roof is not perforated, the way I read, it you are no longer covered since it is 3 years, 36k miles. The same would apply to the doors.

Peter

The hood should be covered as mentioned in the Warranty Guide under Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion.
As for the other issues, it is not that simple. Here is what the Warranty Guide says. Mind you that this is from the Canadian version but would also apply to you.

View attachment 342401
If the roof is not perforated, the way I read, it you are no longer covered since it is 3 years, 36k miles. The same would apply to the doors.

Peter
Interesting and thanks for the details. I guess I'm not sure what makes a "perforation" and what doesn't, because the damage to the hood doesn't really have any "holes" it's just a surface damage... guess we'll see what they come back with.
I did get a printout of the TSB from the first dealer, and it included like 50 images of things that would be covered and things that wouldn't be covered. Anything that was a result of "damage" like hail, rock chips, dents, etc. obviously wouldn't be covered. but if paint is bubbling from underneath and there are some holes in the paint where you can see rust (as in the roof) and not as the result of damage, one would think that would be covered too...

Interesting and thanks for the details. I guess I'm not sure what makes a "perforation" and what doesn't, because the damage to the hood doesn't really have any "holes" it's just a surface damage... guess we'll see what they come back with.
I did get a printout of the TSB from the first dealer, and it included like 50 images of things that would be covered and things that wouldn't be covered. Anything that was a result of "damage" like hail, rock chips, dents, etc. obviously wouldn't be covered. but if paint is bubbling from underneath and there are some holes in the paint where you can see rust (as in the roof) and not as the result of damage, one would think that would be covered too...
The hood is an entirely different issue. Hood Paint bubble issue only
As mentioned it falls under Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion. It is all mentioned in your Warranty Guide.

Peter

well just to update... heard back from the ford dealership... supposedly Ford outright denied the roof, said it wouldn't have been covered even if the vehicle was within its original warranty, and they want back and forth on the doors but ultimately denied that as well. Will be getting a new hood though. Sucks about the doors more than anything.

Just as another update... got the hood replaced and repainted, but the doors and roof were denied. Unfortunately the rust in the roof is starting to become visible (previously I could tell is was starting to rust from underneath but couldn't actually see the rust itself) in several spots, and not a whole lot I can do about it unless I want to repaint and potentially even replace the whole roof. To do it right will be extremely expensive which I'm not going to pay for a vehicle with 80,000 miles on it already... love the explorer, but hate the rust.

Back