Rusted bed floor?? Help to replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rusted bed floor?? Help to replace?

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
I have a 2011 Ranger Supercab that I bought new in November 2011, and it has been an awesome truck, never any issues. There is no rust on the truck ... except .. the floor of the bed has several giant rust holes in it, all the way through? Not sure how/why this happened since the rest of the truck is perfect, but suffice to say, I would like to get it fixed.

I have the Ford part number for the box floor pan, and it is readily available. However, the Ford dealer won't do the work.. they say to pull off the box, take it apart, and weld in the new floor panel and re-assemble the box, was more than their body shop wanted to do. I have checked with a few other body shops, and most would not even touch the work. The one place I got an estimate from was for $2300, and they said that was a "guesstimate" since they had never done one before.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? Most places I have went to thought it very odd that just the floor pan of the box rusted out, and the rest of the bed and truck are so rust-free. Thank you!!

I’d just cut the floor out of a truck at the pick and pull and just skin the floor.

What if you found a donor truck with a bed that's in better shape? Maybe through craigslist? That and a paint job may be cheaper. I recall removing my bed wasn't so bad. I removed it to replace the fuel pump in the gas tank.

Back