rusted manifold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rusted manifold

altbob

Reaction score
hello all, got a problem with my exhaust manifold, 94 ranger drivers side. it is rusted badly and has a really annoying leak that i would like to get fixed. the oil dipstick tube is completely unusable as well because it is so badly rusted too. problem is all the bolts are rust rounded off and also one is twisted and ready to break. the bolt heads literally crumbled when i tried to turn them out with a socket. there is still enough of a head left on them to keep the manifold in place. i cant get a grip on any except the twisted one, dont have a torch and dont know how to use one anyway. the weird thing is, everything on the other passenger side manifold is like new and in almost perfect condition, but everything on the drvers side is rusted beyond belief. is this a common problem for 94s? I was wondering if anyone has tried to remove one with a four and a half inch angle grinder? if so, what must be removed to facilitate access with the grinder? at this point im thinking that pulling the engine or at least removing the head with manifold attached are the only way to fix this leak, it really sucks. if anyone knows a simpler, smarter, or less time consuming way to remove a manifold in this condition, I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if anyone knows a simpler, smarter, or less time consuming way to remove a manifold in this condition, I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. thank you

I just went through this with my '93 Sport. I only had one bolt that gave me problems, the back bottom passenger side. Couldn't get a decent socket on it until I found out you could go through the wheel well. By that time, the head of the bolt was unusable. I had to grind off the head of the bolt with a VERY small grinder. Then I pulled the exhaust manifold away from the head as far as I could (about 1/4") and went through 3 metal blades in a "sawzall". Those tempered steel bolts are REEEE (wait for it) DICULOUS!!!!!

I would use the grinder, but I don't know about your clearances.

Good luck
George

thanks, I will make an attempt going through the wheel well and see if that can give me enough room to use the grinder. thanks again.
p.s. i live in a heavily salted area, the only thing that keeps the whole truck from rusting away is giving it an oil spray every six months or so.

I'm rusted out pretty bad too. My front suspension looks like it came off the deck of the Titanic.

I'm looking at jobs like the Radius bushings, and tackling the parts that lead up to it as separate lead-up jobs. I'm doing sway arm links currently, they take me 2 hours each because the bolts are rusted tight. Did the shocks last month. Tie rods are next. The upper A-arm area, apparently there are adjusters under that rust somewhere? If I ever have to go there, it's going to have to be all new parts.

I can laugh to myself about all this except the brake lines. I'm going to have to learn to bend and flare lines pretty soon. I wonder how you make those brake lines with the wire wrapped around it.

Anyway, good luck with the manifold!!!

Back