• Register Today It's free!

rusted out evap tray under spare

jcdubs

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Went to the bone yard yesterday to look for a spare steely rim for my spare. And saw a evap charcoal tray made of plastic so i took the whole thing out of an 02 sport. Was a direct fit into my 98 4.0lcanisters and all. I know alot of you guys must have rotted out metal ones.
20150510_093257.jpg

Went to the bone yard yesterday to look for a spare steely rim for my spare. And saw a evap charcoal tray made of plastic so i took the whole thing out of an 02 sport. Was a direct fit into my 98 4.0lcanisters and all. I know alot of you guys must have rotted out metal ones.
20150510_093257.jpg

Yup. My EVAP in my 96 just hangs off on top of my spare lol Somehow I don't have a CE light for it. Must not be leaking but that blows my mind.

Well, luckily for me my metal tray is still pretty well intact. I've been chasing down an elusive p0442 on my '98 and just replaced the EvapCanVent Solenoid. The tray was still in good condition. Of course, the truck has spent it's entire life here in Texas so no salty roads or much rust to contend with. Next time I'm at the yard I may try to find a plastic one and pull it just in case. (She's still throwing the p0442, tho.)

Back