Rusted rear end corner (behind lamps) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rusted rear end corner (behind lamps)

slisman

Reaction score
City, State
Gdańsk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer II
Hello, today I found something scarying when changing rear bulbs...
Whole this corners behind lamps are rusted and totally crappy.

Have anyone rebuilt it? Is it possibile with such terrible Access? I'd like not to change whole body... :p
IMG_20220929_175923.jpg

IMG_20220929_180648.jpg

IMG_20220929_180758.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@slisman I can't tell how deep the rust goes, from the photographs. If you have a Sawzall or can weld, you could slice the portion that you need to replace off one at the junk yard (if they'll let you) and just have that section welded onto yours by a body shop, if you don't want to cut into your own truck.

If it's just surface rust, there are all kinds of rust converters and rust removers that you can get, such as OSPHO, Rustoleum, POR-15, and others. I'd get a professional opinion from a body shop before I'd make any recommendations, but there are always options.

@slisman I can't tell how deep the rust goes, from the photographs. If you have a Sawzall or can weld, you could slice the portion that you need to replace off one at the junk yard (if they'll let you) and just have that section welded onto yours by a body shop, if you don't want to cut into your own truck.

If it's just surface rust, there are all kinds of rust converters and rust removers that you can get, such as OSPHO, Rustoleum, POR-15, and others. I'd get a professional opinion from a body shop before I'd make any recommendations, but there are always options.
I agree, its just surface rust and dirt. I like POR-15 it works great. I used it on my rear bu.per. ( buy the the small cans I think 2oz, they are a one time use.) My corners are rusted out. That area is getting pounded, because there no splash shield behind the rear tire. I am planing on installing a rubber floor mat cut to fit that area. Hanging from the rear wheel well lip and the is a cross brace below the tail light using cat clip
IMG_20220930_090146_burst_01.jpg
IMG_20220930_090135.jpg

Yeah,I've been thinking about such cover, it's terrible place when mud gets in....it can't get out :/ But for now it would be better to repair it before covering :)
@DintDobbs - do you think there is enough space to replace it with ones form junkyard?

Yeah,I've been thinking about such cover, it's terrible place when mud gets in....it can't get out :/ But for now it would be better to repair it before covering :)
@DintDobbs - do you think there is enough space to replace it with ones form junkyard?
Very tight area. What I did is coat the area in fiberglass resin. You can add cloth too it if you want . I used 3/4 brushes from harbor freight $10. Clean the area first. Look at the bottom side. Just a note both sides on car are in the same condition. I can post pictures. You really need to place the whole panel .
IMG_20220930_090146_burst_01.jpg
IMG_20220930_090135.jpg

Very tight area. What I did is coat the area in fiberglass resin. You can add cloth too it if you want . I used 3/4 brushes from harbor freight $10. Clean the area first. Look at the bottom side. Just a note both sides on car are in the same condition. I can post pictures. You really need to place the whole panel .View attachment 435055View attachment 435056
Not my kind of repair :D I am not enthusiast of glass fibre in body repairs when there is a rust. I prefer to grab a welder and try to do it, but I am not sure if access is good enough.

Not my kind of repair :D I am not enthusiast of glass fibre in body repairs when there is a rust. I prefer to grab a welder and try to do it, but I am not sure if access is good enough.
If you remove the rear bumper you will have total access. Easy fix . in a wet area I coat everything with fiberglass. Great waterproofing.

Ok, good news then :D
I've just received new (used) bumper after powder paint so I will check this place when changing :)

I’d clean that rust as best as possible, spray a conversion coating (like ospho or similar), then apply a good paint. Epoxy paints are my fav, but anything is better than nothing.

This is the norm for many of us. I just had to cut holes in my 98 over both rear wheels, make patches, weld them in, bondo, paint. Those spots were rotted through though

@slisman I see that others have already spoken on this topic, but as far as space is concerned, I wouldn't hazard a guess. I don't weld, nor can I speak for the size of anybody's hands. I'm not even sure exactly after having read the entire thread what all you're trying to replace. If you do decide to cut and weld, make sure you cut out enough so that you actually get rid of all the rust.

I thought the easy route would be just slice out the entire area surrounding the tail lamp. You'd leave the entire mounting section intact. I don't see that you'd need to reach anywhere particularly tight, but may be I'm not understanding what you intend to do.

I got same issue

Back