RustENutz's Waggy D44 swap! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RustENutz's Waggy D44 swap!

Alrighty, picked up my explorer about a month ago and have been collecting parts ever since. It's getting a Dana 44 out of a 81' wagoneer via spring-over leaf springs. So far I've got the axle all cleaned up, converted to 5x5.5, with flat top knuckles and high-steer arm from Sky Manufacturing. Perches are TT Fabworks, probably not worth the money, still had to grind the diff side way out.

Springs are stock 7 leaf springs. I've got 4.5" shackles, which are already hung from my crossmember I fabbed up last weekend. Hmmmm....what else, the rear is getting a SOA with add-a-leaf as the rear leaves are sagging pretty bad. Spider-Trax adapters will match up the width and lug pattern. That's all I can think of right now. I just got a digital camera, so no pictures from before, but I'll show you what I've got so far.

CIMG0289.jpg

My saggy rear end.

CIMG0285.jpg

CIMG0286.jpg

CIMG0287.jpg

CIMG0288.jpg

Beefy!

CIMG0290.jpg

CIMG0295.jpg

Stuff...

CIMG0292.jpg

CIMG0293.jpg

CIMG0294.jpg

Axle, hubs/rotor, high steer arm

Spent last night fitting my perches, got them fitting pretty snug.

CIMG0299.jpg

CIMG0298.jpg

CIMG0297.jpg

That's it for now, more later. The actual swap will take place not this weekend but the next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, almost 2 years after my SAS my Explorer is getting some much needed attention. Getting everything cleaned up and painted. Replacing all the suspension hardware, ditching the AAL and built shackles. Built spring retainer clips. Got a winch for X-mas so i'm finally gonna build a bumper. Also gonna build sliders and tear out the carpet and bed line the inside. Here's what I've done so far...

Got the front end tore out:
IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

Made some nifty spring retainer clips to hold the spring together yet let it slide and separate good when flexing. Lost the factory ones when I added a long AAL to the pack. Took four 3/8 Elevator bolts I picked up at Farrs, chucked in the lathe and took of the square head. Then took 1 1/4" x 1/8" flat and bent it into 4 U's. Bolted them thru the factory leaf clip holes then ran a bolt thru a 2 1/2" long piece of tubing and cinched it all tight.

IMG_5215.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

IMG_5217.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

Then I pressure washed my axle, springs, ubolts and drag link and coated them with some POR 15. It's a rust adhesive paint that's tough as nails.

IMG_5223-1.jpg

Here's my winch too. Hope to have it mounted in a bumper by next week:

IMG_5219.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the rain kinda F-ed up my plans this morning as I had my axle sitting outside waiting for paint. So I built my rear shackles today, put my springs back in with all new hardware, painted my shocks, shackles, crossmember and my axle finally dried out a couple hours ago so I just finished painting that too. I hate painting so today was torturous! :lol:

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

Shackles came out great! :cool:

I've had it on the road the last couple days, the final day putting it together was not my day. Hurting myself over and over, breaking stuff, not finding parts, etc, etc.... Finally got inside at 12:30 am. But here's how it sits now. Probably rip out interior tomorrow and bedline the inside, then work on the bumper next week. By the time I get my bumper and winch on it should sit pretty level front to rear.

IMG_5244.jpg

IMG_5247.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5246.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg

Now I'm going to go play in the sand! :D

I've had it on the road the last couple days, the final day putting it together was not my day. Hurting myself over and over, breaking stuff, not finding parts, etc, etc.... Finally got inside at 12:30 am. But here's how it sits now. Probably rip out interior tomorrow and bedline the inside, then work on the bumper next week. By the time I get my bumper and winch on it should sit pretty level front to rear.

Now I'm going to go play in the sand! :D

I love what you have done with your X, mine is also Stock 94 xlt in green as well, the po kept the truck mint, I as this is my first 4x4, I am in love with it, and due to the lack of computer crap on it, I plan on keeping it a long time.

This summer I plan on using Chassis saver Paint from Magnet Paints to do the entire interior, as well as the underside of the body and frame.

Great work on your rig, and I hope you keep the shiny side up
Doug

Top notch work as usual! Looks really good.

Thanks guys. It's back in the garage, got all the interior out and carpet pulled. Looks like bed lining it is going to more of a pain in the ass than I thought. Lots of wiring and stuff in the way. Will work on that tomorrow and will be picking up the material for my bumper!!:D

Also, need to pull my axle apart again...U-joint on the driver side is making a god awful speaking noise.:thumbdwn:

any updates?

Haven't touched it, priorities have changed and the Ex is on the backburner. Baby on the way, and new house to be built. So for now it's sitting.:(

are you able to get your hands on a set of cheap drivers side inner and outer shafts and a passenger side outer for a waggy? i just picked up my waggy 44 but i need shafts and outer assembly which will be ford for the 5x5.5

I don't have a source....just scrounging junkyards. Last set I found were in Roseburg. I believe using Ford outers, they'll be a 1/4" too short and you wont be able to get a clip on the end of the axle. You'll want the wagoneer or a chevy 44 outer.

Back