rustproofing frame | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rustproofing frame

one of my parents explorers is starting to rust pretty havilly on the frame and body underside. I have head of a special paint that bonds to the rust and nutralizes it and I would like to do so. I also would like to hurculine the frame and underbody after that.

Will i need to remove the ruber coating that comes on the frame from the factory or can i just use these products over it. If not whats the best and cheapest way of removing the rubber compound on trhe frame?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been there and done that. I sandblasted the frame down to bare metal and used POR-15 to coat the entire Frame. This coating bonds with metal and rust and is Extremly durable. The downside is that for the coating to be effective it must be over bare metal or rust (thats why I had to sandblast). It can be applied over paint and other rust proofing, but since it is not in direct contact (bonded) with the metal it will not be as effective. You can see my X next week in Brookline during our run.

i want to paint my frame the same color as my truck, what is another alternative to getting the rust off the frame besides sand blasting?

How much POR15 did it take to do your whole frame derocha?

Wire wheels (in grinders, and drills)...I've also used various sanding disks and such.. Many coatings are designed to go on right over Rust and stuff so you may want to go that route... I personally like to remove all rust because I hate rust and I want a smooth surface.

One quart of Por-15 did 2+ coats on the entire frame and suspension. I applied it with cheap chip brushes and the coating self levels to an almost mirror finish. I always buy the six pack of small cans since I never know how much I'm going to use.

Back