Rusty Rocker Panel Repair !HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rusty Rocker Panel Repair !HELP!

MurderedSport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
My trim on my Ex fell off today. I knew it would eventually but now the time has come to fix it. I need help though. My plan is:
Go to the local junkyard and cut off a non-rusty rocker panel (If I can find one I live in Illinois) Cut off my rocker panel and weld the new one on. (Or I could find one online)
One problem. I have no clue if there's anything flammable near the rocker panel. Currently the rear driver side panel fell off so that is the only one I will be repairing.
Here's what I'm dealing with:
ra3jo4ml.jpg

The red and blue highlighted are TWO separate pieces. The red part fell off on my car due to rusty rocker panels behind it holding it. Now the part that I highlighted blue is completely fine on my car. I was wondering if I do any welding or cutting on the red highlighted part on the drivers side will there be any gas lines or anything to worry about catching on fire?
Here are the real pictures of what I'm dealing with:
3WGXJ9Rl.jpg

18zKhxSl.jpg

3gIzI8bl.jpg

dFbLSP5l.jpg

As you can see in the last picture I only have 2 good non rusted holes where the trim bolts into.
So I would like to cut all that crap out and weld a new one in. Towards the top is good metal so it's weld-able.
Basically I just need suggestions if I am doing it correctly or if theres a better way.
Thanks a lot:salute:, and yeah I have Firestones

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if i remember correctly, there is a plate there with some foam behind there. its to stop air movement from getting into the cab. cut out everything that you need to, and look up in there. you should see it.
next, if you are going to try and make 4 door rockers work, chop the bottom of the rear door off. it will have the same body line, and contour you need, and weld it to the rocker.
your best bet is to take the rest of the rest of the trim off. be warned, you may not like what you see. when i did mine years back, i had to cut from wheel well, to wheel well on both sides, an pretty much from the bottom of the doors down. you can make a four door rocker work by starting from the back side (rear wheel) and cutting the front to fit.

also by looking at the pictures you have, the inner rocker is gone as well.

Kudos for the link to the 4door rockers. Mine could use replacement.

also by looking at the pictures you have, the inner rocker is gone as well.
Yes it is.
And that foam you talked about, I thought somebody else that owned it before me did it because there were cans behind it and a bottle of degreaser. I thought somebody did a hack job there.
Also thanks for the information.

if i remember correctly, there is a plate there with some foam behind there. its to stop air movement from getting into the cab. cut out everything that you need to, and look up in there. you should see it.
next, if you are going to try and make 4 door rockers work, chop the bottom of the rear door off. it will have the same body line, and contour you need, and weld it to the rocker.
your best bet is to take the rest of the rest of the trim off. be warned, you may not like what you see. when i did mine years back, i had to cut from wheel well, to wheel well on both sides, an pretty much from the bottom of the doors down. you can make a four door rocker work by starting from the back side (rear wheel) and cutting the front to fit.
I am going to look at the junkyard first and if they're all rusty I'll order a four door rocker panel. I was just wondering how long did the whole process take you?
Also when I cut I won't have to go all the way up to the door will I?
The part where it bends back into the door is what I mean.

LMC Truck may also have what you need: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/FEX/full.aspx?Page=23

It might be easier and less work to find and order a new part vs. taking the part off a junker.

[I hate road salt! NJ is a road salt state, too] Good luck with the project.

Bwana Bob

LMC Truck may also have what you need: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/FEX/full.aspx?Page=23

It might be easier and less work to find and order a new part vs. taking the part off a junker.

[I hate road salt! NJ is a road salt state, too] Good luck with the project.

Bwana Bob
Thanks for the link.
I hate salt too my car would be perfect without rust.
At least the rockers are the worst part and not the frame haha.

i sawed of the inner and outter in one shot (took about 8 blades). but what i did was drilled each spot weld out, took it apart, mounted the inner first, welded it, then fit the outter on. how long? i would say a few days. i didnt go into the door jamb its self, but about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch bellow it.

Back