Rusty's 2nd Gen Snorkel.. yup another snorkel thread! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rusty's 2nd Gen Snorkel.. yup another snorkel thread!

Rusty

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Xlt and 97 Sport
Rusty's 2nd Gen Snorkel Install ... yup another snorkel thread!

well ill try and keep it simple because there is a lot of snorkel threads already. I am pretty happy with the install but i think i need to get some bigger tires and new rims to make it look... and work... right.

ANYWAYS: Here we go

I used 2.5 schedule 40 for the pvc. - about 2 feet of straight and 1 45 elbow
Some 3" Rv sewage hose (new of course) can be found at your local walmart!
1 rv hose coupling for the airbox
2 twist it clamps-not pictured
a snorkel top- ebay- wagga tractor - wagga wagga new south wales
total cost: about $70 - beats the 300-400 for a safari then modifying it to fit

first cutting the holes in the airbox and fenders
caulk up the airbox
attach rv hose coupler and insert hose through the fender

sorry i did not get more pictures.. i did this over a few days here and there while the wife was watching the kid and i had limited time!

Attachments

• snorkel 9.jpg
    snorkel 9.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,834
  • snorkel 8.jpg
    snorkel 8.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 3,743
  • snorkel 7.jpg
    snorkel 7.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,690
  • snorkel10.jpg
    snorkel10.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3,725

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry.. not the most thorough coverage of pics but at least you can get the idea

mount the pvc the way you like it. I had to cut and hammer the fender support to my liking to get the pvc to fit.

overall i ended up cutting the littlest amount i could but cut more than i wanted.. even still i had to work the fender to get it all lined back up and on there.. then i just split some fuel line tube over the exposed sharp metal.

Attachments

• snorkel6.jpg
    snorkel6.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,902
  • snorkel5.jpg
    snorkel5.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,780

Finished product...

For the antenna i drilled a hole farther down the fender and just screwed the antenna into the base which is NOT bolted down under the fender... i don't love this but it works. I lost some reception but i fear it sticks out a bit and will be a target for trees when wheelin. We will see.

You can also see i goofed a bit here when trying to massage the fender. I used mallet and put a few indents in the fender.. this is because i didn't quite trim enough fender and was trying to get the holes lined up for re-installation of the bolts.

Attachments

• snorkel4.jpg
    snorkel4.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,796
  • snorkel1.jpg
    snorkel1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3,931
  • snorkel2.jpg
    snorkel2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 3,919
  • snorkel3.jpg
    snorkel3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 3,771

really nice i like it

That looks really good...now we just need a video of you proving it works!

haha.. we will see about that!

I love the funny looks and questions like "What the heck is that black thing on your truck?" Not too many explorers with snorkels up here in New England.

I love the funny looks and questions like "What the heck is that black thing on your truck?" Not too many explorers with snorkels up here in New England.

Not too many videos of explorers using snorkels either...:D

The only need that I know of having a snorkle is when in water and mud so deep that the raised snorkle is your air intake; however, if the explorer is under five feet of water, your snorkle wont work as the engine wont be running (unless you found a way to seal your engine and wiring). Ultimately, I dont understand why people do a snorkle when they are not that eficient in air intake as the "scooped" air is traveling three to five feet forward and through multiple sharp turns.....HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS... PLEASE-

is it any less efficient than having to go around the headlight, grille, etc. to get to the opening of the factory airbox?
i think it may be a little more efficient:dunno: i might be wrong though i am just an electrician
as far as 5 feet of water, a snorkel is the first of many projects you have to do before you attempt those mud/water holes....
motivator1518723_Small_.jpg

oh and good job rusty, good idea with the flexible hose. i was going to just heat the pvc up and bend and conform it to my needs. i will be attemping this project real soon

is it any less efficient than having to go around the headlight, grille, etc. to get to the opening of the factory airbox?
i think it may be a little more efficient:dunno: i might be wrong though i am just an electrician
as far as 5 feet of water, a snorkel is the first of many projects you have to do before you attempt those mud/water holes....
motivator1518723_Small_.jpg

oh and good job rusty, good idea with the flexible hose. i was going to just heat the pvc up and bend and conform it to my needs. i will be attemping this project real soon

is that surrealnj?

Yes that's surreal. Spas made that "poster" as a friendly joke. I just stole it from the photo gallery

Does this count as a test run?

Actually we went through some water crossings that were at least halfway up the doors! It was a fun day! not alot of good pics and videos though because we were moving pretty fast! I was pleased though... no strap at all .. never got stuck.
I was rolling with Toyota land cruisers locked on 35s and a couple of jeeps. A Jeep on 35's got stuck on an obstacle that i made it on. Makes the head get a little bigger until i smacked a rock into my rear passenger door!

Fun times!

Does this count as a test run? lol This is suddendeath when his ex was still stock. He made it through no problem. Look to the left. the black thing sticking up in the air. lol Kinda hard to see I know.
whartoninmay154.jpg

Here he is coming out
whartoninmay155.jpg

The only need that I know of having a snorkle is when in water and mud so deep that the raised snorkle is your air intake; however, if the explorer is under five feet of water, your snorkle wont work as the engine wont be running (unless you found a way to seal your engine and wiring). Ultimately, I dont understand why people do a snorkle when they are not that eficient in air intake as the "scooped" air is traveling three to five feet forward and through multiple sharp turns.....HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS... PLEASE-

When you live in a country of extremes like Australia they are very handy, not just for water crossings but dust as well. When your driving in convoy with a few others & your not leading all you get is thick dust. I know you still get dust but up high its not as thick & if you turn the top around so its facing behind you, you'll get bugger all. Thus extending the life of your filter & cleaning intervals.
To me those are 2 bloody good reasons especially when you go bush nearly every 2nd w/end. :D

Well...The only reason we put one on ours...Not the x above. We have a full sized truck...Is because even through 2 foot of water everything kicking up would still wet the air intake. Now rather than stalling out after every puddle we opted for the snorkel and some dialectric grease for the distributor and what not. So far have had no problems at all with water since. I'd rather keep my truck running at all times than risk any bit of water getting in there. We don't go through stuff deep enough that you'd have to worry about it hitting the computer BUT we did have 2 friends hydro lock because of a 2 to 3 foot puddle. Better safe than sorry if you ask me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back