Rx4phun's 1998 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rx4phun's 1998 XLT

Rx4phun's 1998 XLT, Lifted

I got a 1998 XLT 4x4 April of 2001 which my parents were nice enough to split the cost with me. I always loved Explorers and I love huge trucks. The problem was that I didn't know of anyway to lift it. (at the time the trailmaster suspension lift was just coming out but they said it wasnt for AWD models blah blah blah) So I knew there had to be something that could be done to make it bigger. So I looked on the web like a little nerd and ended up finding this site which is a blessing from God for the most part except when I have school work to do and spend hours hangin out here.
I started with this:
stock
(I have Yahoo, sorry I cant post pics)
- 1998 Ford Explorer XLT
- 4.0 L SOHC V6
- 4x4 with Auto 4x4 too:rolleyes:
- moonroof
- 3.73 LS
- Premium Stereo
- Front Bug Deflector
- All that other stuff that comes with 98 XLTs, no leather though

This is what I have now:
After
After 2

-Same as above plus
- 3" PA Body Lift
- Warrior Shackles and TT to even it out
- 33x12.5-15 Procomp All Terrains
- 15x8 AE- 589 with 3.25" backspacing
- Thule bike and ski rack
- Husky front floor liners (the ones that hold like a gallon of water)
- 2 Hella 500s on the front bumper
- White Face Indiglo guages with red needles
- Ractive Air Intake (homemade KKM)
- Breather tubes extended
- Rancho 5000s all the way around
- Window vents, bug deflector, rear air dam
- 4 tow hooks, 2 front and 2 rear
- Lots of rustoleum underneath

Future Realistic Mods:
- Flowmaster 40 series single out exhaust
- Interior tire holder to hold a full sized spare
- Some kind of fender flares to cover my tires
- lower gears( probably 4.56) / lockers
- entertainment system with lots of good speakers 2 12" subs, mp3, xm, DVD, some type of gaming system, 3 or 4 screens
- some more lights fogs and driving front and back
- Roof Pod for skis
- On board air compressor
- Snorkel
- Front Skid Plate

Wish List/Stuff I will probably never have:
- SAS coil overs to D60s front and back
- 36-40" tires
- supercharged huge diesel or 407, 427, 460, 514 something like that, not that it would ever fit
- tube doors
- Exterior roll cage

More Pics here
Thanks for viewing and I want to thank everyone, especially Splashman for his help. I asked Brian about a billion questions about the lifts and tires. Big help:D
Suggestions are welcome
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking rig!

Throw on some shocks and a locker and you're set.

Yeah I am going to end up replacing the shock probably after this winter. Dont know which ones I am going with yet but we will see. As for lockers, i doubt that will happen before a suspension lift but we will see. The only thing that holds me back as with most of us is $$

well my guess is either my truck has left you speechless b/c it is so amazing or it is just so bad it isnt worth your time to type something. As much as I wish could be the first I doubt it is and the I sure hope it isnt the second one. I just got a $100 credit at 4wheelparts. Probably going to get some shocks but I dont know which ones yet.
Gary

Rancho, Bilstein or OME would be best, but pricey.

I'm running OME Nitro Shocks they are awesome. The Ride is great. I do alot of Baja Style riding so these work really well for me.

Your Truck looks really good. Sometimes I forget that less is more. I've got so much stuff on Mine. The sky is really the limit. Good choice on the Rims. Those have always looked good on Explorers. Keep up with the Mods.

Your truck looks very nice, BUT its too clean!

yeah well I just washed it that day, As soon as we get some rain and I have some free time I assure you it will have a textured finish :)
As for the shocks I was thinking OME, Rancho, or Gabriel (b/c they are less expensive). I dont really offroad all that much b/c there arent many places and I dontwant to break my truck but I want a shock that will hold its own.
Alto- How much are those OME nitro shock. Would they really be worth it for some one who drives on roads mostly and if there was offroading it wouldnt be much real crawling, more mud and old logging roads.
In my mind the sky is the limit but in my bank account I am limited to low altitude flights :(
This semester at school is insane with work but my 11 hr/wk job should go to 25 or so next semester. I am also considering selling my services to raise money but I have yet to find all that many interested.
Thanks
Gary

Originally posted by Rx4phun
I am also considering selling my services to raise money but I have yet to find all that many interested.
Thanks
Gary

:eek:

Very nice looking X!! :thumbsup: could use a chip too!;)

Nice looking X..If you don't mind me asking whereabouts in CT are you from.

what Yomie, a man needs to make his money and this man loves his explorer.
SSIKORA I was thinking about a chip and now with bigger tires and stock gears I could use it but I am going to get an exhaust and maybe change gears so I dont want to have it reprogramed. And I have heard that overall they arent all that great for the engine and I want to keep her around a while
Brian8, my house is in Berlin but I went to school at SP in Bristol for high school. Now I am in VT for college.
Thank for the compliments guys. As always, suggestions are welcome and encouraged.
Gary

Explorers are cool but everyone has one and they just dont have the balls I am looking for so I got rid of her. Heres my new ride:

Dead Link Removed

Hahaha I wish that was my car. 1934 Ford Coupe. This thing was hot. One of the nices vehicles I have ever seen in my entire life!!! Just done so perfectly. I might have strapped on a blower and some nitrous but I am pretty sure that the 460 in it moved it along just fine. That paint job is amazing, picture doesnt do it justice. By Kustom Kolorz. Kandy metallic tangerine. My buddy wants to get his ride painted that color. I would too but the big tires kick up to much crap.

Check out my sig for more pics and tell me how much more trimming I would have to do to fit those 33x21.5 -15s on an explorer. yes I said 33x21.5 not 33x12.5 hehee
Gary

Originally posted by Alto
I'm running OME Nitro Shocks they are awesome. The Ride is great. I do alot of Baja Style riding so these work really well for me.

Your Truck looks really good. Sometimes I forget that less is more. I've got so much stuff on Mine. The sky is really the limit. Good choice on the Rims. Those have always looked good on Explorers. Keep up with the Mods.

Alto or anyone who has experience with OME shock, nitro or not please give me some thoughts on it. I am getting new shocks that will be a bit longer to accomidate my TT/shackles. Even though it isnt 2 full inches is a shock that is 2" longer OK? thanks guys
Gary

Need your help guys

I need some good honest advice on something. I dont want to start a new thread b/c I hate people who start threads when there is a bunch of info on it. But believe me when i tell you I have searched.

ONE: Shocks. For every vote for a shock there is a vote against it. Anyone with experience with shock on the 2" lift nature to accomidate TT and shackles please speak up. I was considering Gabriels b/c of the price and performance but I dont have the stuff need or skill to weld a piece in to extend them. So tell me what you guys thing on that.

TWO: Exhaust. I need to get rid of this stock crap. I have went to or called about 10 or 12 shops. They all want over 465 for duals which is what i wanted but that is to much. What i do really want is a flowmaster 40 series but the dont make the dual in single out for my 98 SOHC. Would having a y-pipe fabbed up for the dual off the cats into a single in muffler work well? Thoughts on thisplease and I was thinking about going with a 2.5" in and out. That sound good?

I really appreicate your help on this. I would like to get this done, especially the shocks before the first week of october is out.
Gary

I don't know anything about aftermarket exhaust. But I do know that the adjustable RS9000's Ranchos are great. I don't know anyone who's said anything bad about them except they may be a little expensive. I like them because I've a long highway ride to most of the places I wheel. I keep them dialed stiff on the road and then loosen them up when I get to the trail. Excellent! I can't help you with #'s as I've got a 5.5 lift. By the way I like your truck a lot.

Thanks, I want thinking about the 9000s but the are expensive. Any one had both the 9000 and the RSXs and or the 5000 for comparison or OME nitros?

bumpin it b/c I wanted to roder this stuff today from 4wp while the still have their sale going. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had my dual exhaust done at a shop and it was about 300. The explorers are a tight fit, but it may be easier to do since you have the BL (the left pipe was an absolute pain). Even if you got a single out for the time being and went to a dual when you got the cash by putting a y-pipe after the muffler. There are a ton of mufflers out there that sound great and are cheaper than Flowmaster so that could save you a little. Just keep lookin around and see what you can find. Good luck man and GREAT lookin explorer, you can see my exhaust at the link in my profile.

www.cardomain.com/id/97expo
Patrick

Back