??s on Programming Keys & Keyless Remotes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

??s on Programming Keys & Keyless Remotes

Jules2001

Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hey guys, I bought a used 2001 Explorer and only got one key and one remote. The Owner's Manual shows how to program extra keys. The only problem is that it states that I need two preprogrammed keys in order to program more (only up to eight allowed). It states that if I only have one, then I gotta go to the dealer. Is this true? Dealer charges $100 just for programming!! Anybody know where I get one cheaper?

I would also like to know where to get a keyless remote. The Owner's Manual also gives instructions how to program them (two preprogrammed ones are not needed).

There are sites out there to buy these items, but can anybody suggest a trusted site they have used or know of?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I was able to purchase two keyless remotes for my '97 Eddie Bauer off of different folks on ebay Motors just a couple of months ago. Since yours is a 2001, I think it would use the same three-button remotes that mine uses. I paid just about $10 for each, and I found out that Batteries Plus in my neck of the woods carries the repalcement batteries for about $3.

I'd go on to ebay Motors and search, I've seen plenty of them for sale. Many (like mine) also come with the programming instructions, but you can also easily find those yourself by searching this site.

Good luck.

Please search first. Then, if the question has not already been answered, post the question.

This has been discussed over and over and over again. The short answer is that you MUST have two working keys to program additional keys, up to 8 total. If you only have one, a trip to a dealer or locksmith with the proper equipment is necessary. Call around for prices. Some places charge 1/2 hour of labor, some an hour, and extra if you need additional keys cut at the same time.

Additional keys can be purchased just about anywhere. Just make sure that they are PATS keys. Remotes can be purchased all over too. Ebay usually has decent deals on them.

Good luck!

-Joe

You do need two existing keys to program a 3rd key by yourself. Stealerships will gouge you. Supposedly some locksmiths can do the deed for a lot less than the dealer. Call around.

Get some blanks via eBay (cheap). I get mine there and then Walmart cut the blanks for free. Then I did the programming myself, but did have 2 existing keys. I now have 4 extra keys just to be safe.

Back