• Register Today It's free!

Saab 9-3 Repairs

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I was checking out some Saab forums and they don't look to promising so I figured I'd pick some brains over here.

My sister is thinking about buying a 1999 9-3 with the 2.0T. Don't know the mileage off the top of my head but its somewhere around 90k I believe. It has some problems and my parents are considering having me (along with the help of some mechanically inclined friends) fix it instead of the mechanic to save a few bucks. Anyway, let's get to it:

1) The upper and lower valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. Is this difficult?

2) A lower control arm bushing need to be changed. Again, hard?

We brought it to our mechanic and he came up with about 2.1k worth of repairs (also had replacing the exhaust but thats pretty straightforward so I didn't ask about it). Does that sound about right? The car is selling for about 5k or so.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help:thumbsup:

-Steve Adams

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5k is way to high for a MY99 9-3. i paid 5K for my MY99 9-5 with 107K on the clock. and what do you mean upper and lower valve cover gaskets. there are technically two, the direct injection cassette gasket and the outer valve cover gasket if thats what you are talking about, either way both are very easy to replace. lower control arm bushings are no harder then explorer LCA bushing replacements. $2100 is D*** near ridiculous in repairs unless it needs a new turbo or clutch, i think that guy is tryin to take you for a ride! and just out of curiosity, what Saab forum are you looking on? im a very regular member of www.saabcentral.com and have found that forum a wealth of information. as you can see I personally own a 9-5 so i know the ins and out off saabs and have replaced my turbo as well as my clutch with basic handtools at my apartment with not lifts or specialty tools, so if you need any help dont be afraid to PM me.

Curtis

I found SaabCentral and joined up there and asked the same questions. There didn't seem to be much activity, compared to here anyway. Nevertheless I got some good replies so I'm happy about that.

As for the 2000 in repairs most of it (about 1000) was for replacing the exhaust pretty much from the headers back. I told my sister that was ridiculous and that it can be done for a fraction of that (I wouldn't do that part as I don't have a welder or tube bender).

what is wrong with the exhaust? seeing as your in NJ im guessin its rusted through. that being the case, i plan on spending $1000 on a aftermarket downpipe and catback, so trust me when i say an exhaust can be had for much cheaper then that! but give saabcentral a lil time, sometimes the people over there can be very uptight and snaabish (ironic due to the name Saab i know) but they usually know what they are talking about, and make sure to search extensively cause some information is very well hidden in the threads there.

It's not any more hard then any other car. I had a 95 9000 cse. the only thing was i had to go out and buy a set of the star head bits to take off the valve cover and a few other things on the engine. Take it to another place as see what they say seems a bit high to me.

i just saw your post on saabcentral, and all the information they gave you is exactly right on point. everything youve mentioned isnt very expensive to fix on ur own, just time consuming!

Back