• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sad day. Have to put a dog down...

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Indy, the German Shepard that found us on the Fourth of July three years ago, is finally going to have to be put down:(

For those who don't remember, this dog went to our old neighbors house and "trapped her" inside. At 9pm on the Fourth of July, I opened our garage door so I could watch the fireworks down the road. My neighbor yelled at me that she was trapped in her house by a dog at her door. I called the dog over and she limped over to me, practically collapsing on me when she got there.

She had no collar, and after a scan at the vets we found she had no ID chip either. I fell in love with her... She was lame in one leg, from an old injury. She was also severely dehydrated, had burned paws and a burned nose from being outside for who knows how long. The day time temp on the 4th was 111.

Since the dog was lame in one leg and couldn't walk well, I figured the dog shelter would just put her down if we left her with them. I always wanted a German Shepard, and I felt this was a sign to keep her.

For the past 3 years she had a good home. She got along fantastic with our 2 other dogs, and a cat. In fact we think she thought the cat was her puppy:)

Her back leg never got any better, just worse. Her right leg is fused at the knee. She has to lay down on one side all the time, and she uses the leg as a pivot to turn and stand with.

Lately she has barely been able to get up. She's been on an anti-inflammatory medication, but it's no longer helping. The doc said she is partially paralyzed in the rear, from the accident which broke her leg. She said the spine keeps getting more and more compressed, making it so she can't feel her back end.

Now she just drags along, and she has been peeing and pooping in the house since she can't feel the urge to go.

In a couple hours Char and I are taking her to the vet and we'll be with her when she's given the shot.

I'll miss her... A guy couldn't ask for a better pup...:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Bummer Rick... :(

My dad (last year, Pembroke Corgi), my aunt (early this year, Yellow Lab), and my uncle (last month, Chow/Shepard mix) all had to put theirs down for severe medical problems.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

indy_sml.jpg

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Bummer Rick... :(

My dad (last year, Pembroke Corgi), my aunt (early this year, Yellow Lab), and my uncle (last month, Chow/Shepard mix) all had to put theirs down for severe medical problems.

Our little guy Rusty is part Welsh Corgie. He's 18 years old and won't be around much longer:( it's definitely a tough thing to lose something, so close and so full of life.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
Sorry to hear Rick, unfortuantly this always teaches us a important lesson to life, and that is there is a end and you cherish what you have,,,before it's gone.

I have been thru so many dogs in my life that I have learned that there is a time when you have to think of whats best for the dog. You have to understand the they are not always going to be there in your life, but there memory will always live on. Dogs are by far the best pets I think, from begining to end all they want to do is love you...no matter what.;) I miss having a dog, can't wait to have a yard to get one again;)

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Out in the boonies, California (Homeland/Romoland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
My heart goes out to you and Char, Rick. I have gone through this many times and it never gets any easier. You fall in love with them and, sooner than we can imagine, they are old, hurting, suffering and we have to make that inevitable decision. Just feel good that you gave Indy a wonderful 3 years and she will leave this plain of existence knowing she was loved! That's the best that any of us can do! May she rest in peace! :(

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Well, we're back:( She went down easy, and I felt good about being there for her.

Here's to you Indy:chug::salute:

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Wow, that's so sad. Sorry it had to happen, but I'm glad, and I'm sure she was, that you gave her a great home for the last 3+ years. RIP, Indy.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Oh man-
Man's best friend is too short lived-:(

You gave her a great life--thanks Rick

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Sorry to hear this Rick. GSDs are the best! I had one growing up, and two of my own. Apparently there is de-generative nerve disease common in them, so possibly not from an accident - though I'm sure that doesn't help. My Mom just had to put one day last winter due to the same thing you describe. It's hard to watch, and I think she'll be better off.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...sorry to hear that....i swore off having another dog when i put my last blue heeler down...now i have a 4 1/2 pound miss dynamite that will tear me up when it's her turn to go...they give you alot of life while they are here...take care...:(

Exploderpilot

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Nuevo, CA (where?)
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Titan SE
I'm sorry rick. that's a member of the family. no replacing them. hope you guys are ok.

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
My condolences to you and Char.. Its never easy losing a pet, but as you already know it was Indy's time to go. She lived a good three years longer with you and char and for that I'm sure she was eternally grateful.

As they say All good dogs go to heaven..

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
I'm sorry to hear that Rick :( . Losing a family member is never easy.:salute:

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Rick, I'm so sorry about Indy, I know how you are feeling because last month we had to put down our cat Tabby. We had adopted her from a neighbor when she found out her baby was allergic, she had three years with us and just lost alot of weight very quickly. She was my oldest daughter's best friend and I asked her if she could be there to hold her when the vet gave her the shot. She said she couldn't but when the time came she went in and held her letting Tabby know she was loved until the end. The vet did an autopsy to find out why she lost weight so fast (cancer) and she was cremated and her ashes were given to us in a little box, which we buried with her collar in the back yard. She was 14 years old.

All the pets we have had we've adopted due to someone's allergy problems. Our two guinea pigs Shelby and Zim and our rabbit, Storm were given to us by one of my daughter's friends who was moving in with her boyfriend who had allergies to fur.

There are those who say we won't see our beloved animal friends in heaven, if so, it's not a place I want to go

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Out in the boonies, California (Homeland/Romoland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Oh man Rick im sorry about that.

My dog that i have had ever since i was around 10 passed away this year unexpected. The his mother did. I lost two this year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None