safely removing ice and snow from windshield lenses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

safely removing ice and snow from windshield lenses

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
With winter approaching i was wondering how everbody who lives up north safely cleans there plastic headlight lenses from ice and snow without scratching the plastic lens. My previous cars i have used the plastic ice scrapers you use on your glass windshied to remove frozen snow and ice. My plastic headlight lenses on these cars show scatches and haze as a result of this practice. I do not want to scratch the shiny new lenses on my new EX so i am looking for some other safe method for cleaning. Any advice from anyone?
THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never used anything other than a snow brush on the headlights. That clears away the snow before driving and the heat from the bulb should be enought to clear the lens clear.

I have never used anything other than a snow brush on the headlights. That clears away the snow before driving and the heat from the bulb should be enought to clear the lens clear.
Same here. I just use the brush to clear away the snow. I have never removed ice from the lenses on any of my vehicles.

Im talking about a vehicle left outside in wet snow that freezes and causes a heavy build up of ice on the lens that cant be removed with a brush. You cant drive at night with the ice on the lens. Also havent you driven in a heavy wet snow storm that ices up your headlight lenses and forces you to pull off the road to clear the ice from your headlights so you can see ?

This happens alot in michigan where i live.

Im talking about a vehicle left outside in wet snow that freezes and causes a heavy build up of ice on the lens that cant be removed with a brush. You cant drive at night with the ice on the lens. Also havent you driven in a heavy wet snow storm that ices up your headlight lenses and forces you to pull off the road to clear the ice from your headlights so you can see ?

This happens alot in michigan where i live.
I have had my vehicles sit outside in freezing rain while I was at work but because it wasn't dark when I left I never bothered cleaning them and the because of the DRL, the lenses cleared themselves. As for driving in heavy wet snow, I have done that at times but I can't recall ever having to stop to clear the lenses. The heat was enough to keep them clear enough to see where I was going.
I know there are products you can buy that are used to spray on ice covered windshields but I don't know if they are save for the plastic lenses.

Before winter use Rain-X on the lights. It will make the ice and snow removal infinitely easier.

Before winter use Rain-X on the lights. It will make the ice and snow removal infinitely easier.

I've had problems in the past wit Rain-X yellowing the plastic headlight lenses. I had a '92 Cougar that I spent quite a bit of time polising out the headlight lenses. I then put Rain-X on them and they yellowed right back up. Since then I have not used Rain-X on plastic again.

I've used it on the lights of most of my vehicles and never had a problem with yellowing. Your polishing may have removed a coating that protects the plastic.

I've parked outdoors for years and our winters aren't any milder than yours , I've never had an accumulation of ice that interfered with the lights. I've never scraped any light on any vehicle, just wiped off the snow. Any ice melts pretty quick with the lights on, they put out some decent heat. Trying to scrape down the ice could damage the lenses. Ice is see-through so it shouldn't block the lights too much, and within a short while the heat should melt it easily. If you have a remote start that should have things melted prior to driving, or start the car with the lights on and wipe down the vehicle, by the time you are ready to drive the lights should be clear of any stubborn ice.

I always start the Ex, fire the heater, and put the headlights on before I start the snow clearing process. This ensures that it is toasty warm inside, the Ex is warmed up, and the ice/snow on the headlights has melted. Then I just use the brush to clear the headlights before I get into the toasty warm Ex. :cool:

I should note we have daytime running lights so that is one less step when turning on the vehicle, but without drl's just turn the lights on for a couple minutes at the most is all you need.

Back