Sagging door...? (early explorers) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sagging door...? (early explorers)

asp84

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 V8 AWD Mounty
Noticed that it takes a little more force these days to shut my driver side door on my 1991 X. I can even grasp the door and wiggle it up and down in the hinges. It seems to be loose at both upper and lower hinges.

I understand there is no "easy" remedy for this problem....is there ever? My question is: What have other people with this problem done? Has replacing just the bottom hinge produced satisfactory results?

Thanks,
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found the hinge pins at O'Reilly's Auto Parts, in the generic parts section. You can cut the old pin with a Dremel motor tool and a flex shaft and simplify what they have gone through here.

Dead Link Removed

Good luck

if you're gonna do one, then go ahead and do the other one also. I replaced my bottom one (i think it was) and now a few months later my door won't shut again.

p.s. If the teflon is worn on your old striker pin from the door sagging, then go ahead and replace it too. The new part is hanging right next to the hinge pins at the auto supply. ;)

p.p.s Don't try and pull the pins out unless you have someone there to help hold the door... :nono:

So.......I can just find these at a local auto parts store in the generic section. (pins & bushings) What specific size should I be looking for? Does ford offer OEM pins and budhings?

Thanks!!!

Al

a year ago last month i replaced the bottom hinge.. it was alittle tough to close. The other night i was just saying how the door closes alot smoother then it used to. So for me, it did it. All the other doors are fine so i left them alone.

Ford has replacement hinges, I don't think you can buy just the pin and bushing from them. The generic ones I have seen say something like "Ford 86-Up". I have seen two kinds, but they did the same thing and were the same diameter. One used a retaining clip to hold it in place, the other used a cotter pin. The one with the retainer clip looked stronger to me, so I got it, but I bought the last one they had of the other kind just to keep as a spare.

The problem with replacing the hinge is that you have to take the dash out to hold the nuts for the bolts on the top hinge. Not pretty.

Good Luck

any reccomendations on how to get the old PIN & Bushing out?? DO I grind out the tops of them? Thanks,
Al

hinge

I replaced the whole bottom hinge (from dealer, $38). It is isn't painted, but who cares! This was about 2 years ago and it still fully closes with just a little push. It also wasn't difficult to replace at all. The pins and bushings kit works too, I just didn't have access to a decent dremel at the time.

Brand New 1993 Hinges- want em?

I have both the upper and lower hinges, brand new OEM ford for a driver's side door. My 1993 had the same problem, but I sold it before I got around to installing the new hinges. Now I have a 1998 and the hinges are different. I paid around $65 for them. Want them for $40 plus shipping?

Eric

I believe the bushings and pin kit is under $10, so for 1 door (upper and lower) its not very expensive. The easiest way I found to replace the hinges is to lift the door off completely using a come-a-long, slinging a strap thru the window opening. You can use a punch to drive out the bushings and pins. Also, you may want to run s few layers of masking tape down the front door edge to prevent the paint from getting banged up.

We had a problem with the door not closing properly.....shortly after the wife backed up into the telco box beside our driveway with the drivers door open. She forgot that the box was there and lightly contacted it (so she claims....). Still enough to crease the door skin and bend the hinges.

Body shop readjusted (probably put the hinges in a press and it's been fine since.

Kevin

i replaced the driver side upper and lower hinge on my old 1991 eddie bauer without taking out the dash. it was a lot of work, but worth the effort in the long run.

How did you get to the nut on the back side of the top hinge without removing the dash? I've gotten close but it seems like you would need a small hand to get in there!

I did replace the bottom hinge which is far easier to get to the back side of. It seems to be doing the trick with the sagging door, but I think the alignment could be a bit better if I could get the top hinge replaced too.

Thanks,
Rich
92 XLT

Top Drivers Side hinge

I had the sagging door problem too and went to ford and got the top Hinge which seemed the worst, after a hour or so of trying to remove that last bolt I gave up and decided to just replace the pins instead , so if anybody wants the brand new top hinge 30 bucks will take it
ps the bottom one was 60 bucks from my Dealer

all i used was a deep socket with some butyl tape stuffed in it so it would stay on the nut. it was difficult, but i could get my hands on it.

Thanks for the reply

I eventually got at the top nut, but you're right - it wasn't easy. I ended up cutting out a small piece of the inner dash (that's not visible) in order to access it from where the rear wiper/defrost switches are.

Incidentally - I got both top and bottom hinges from the dealer for about $50 total.

Thanks for the help.
Rich

Back