Sagging door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sagging door

N1BVH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
My drivers door (2005) sags but no movement is visible at the hinge when the door is lifted. The hinge appears to be tight but there is obviously a problem somewhere. Should I just replace the hinges anyway? Which brand should I buy?
Thanks from S. Florida

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first question is: Does the gap at the edge of the door show that it's sagging? If the gap is even, you have latch problems.

The first question is: Does the gap at the edge of the door show that it's sagging? If the gap is even, you have latch problems.
When the door is closed the top of the door is in the correct position. When the door is opened slightly you can see the door fall. When closing, the door hits what I think is called the striker which forces the door up into it's correct position. Sounds like I need to do a door adjustment as opposed to a hinge/pin replacement as there is no movement in the hinge. Does this sound logical?

When the door is closed the top of the door is in the correct position. When the door is opened slightly you can see the door fall.
My instinct is to look for shims behind the hinges, but I'm an amateur on this car. I don't even know if the hinges are welded to the frame.:(

Yep. They are bolted, but not in the way I expected. It looks like, loosen, tap, tighten, and you better have a way to support the door or it's all going to turn to $%^& in a big hurry.

Do what post #5 said.

I changed my hinge that was loose. It lasted for a few months but now it's sagging & there is no play in these hinges.
I'm about to take the fender off and try to adjust it that way or have the garage weld it so the hinge don't drop again.

Back