• Register Today It's free!

Sagging rear end

Mudstang9443

Reaction score
City, State
Nesconset, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
My 96 XLT 4.0 was sagging pretty bad in the read and espically the drivers side (the drivers side sits almost 3" Lower than the passenger side) so I bought brand new leaf springs and when I just installed them and re measured the ride height it was exactly the same as before I put the new springs on. I don't know what else it could be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the Monroe Self Adjusting Shocks, worked for me best 100$ spent

+1 on the Monroe's, really good shocks. Raised the rear almost 2 inches and nice tight ride.

Triple on that. Best things ever. Lets me tow a boat decently too.

Even after putting the Monroes in I still am sagging. I'm thinking it is maybe because of an uneven TT in the front? I'm going to try to balance out the TT is it right=down and left=up when cranking on the torsion bolts?

Both torsion bolts are tightened for lift or loosened for lowering. No way you will correct a 3 INCH Ranger lean adjusting the bolts. You've already installed new leaf springs and Monroe 58617 spring shocks. Sounds like a much more serious issue. Recent accident?

My measurements are reading
Driver front 35" Pass front 36"

Driver rear 33 1/2". Pass rear 35"
That is from ground to top of wheel well. I've only had the truck since January 2015 but I have not been in an accident with it and don't believe the previous owner was in one. I was also not the one to do the TT to begin with. So I'm thinking that the unevenness of the front is causing the back to be uneven also because the only difference is in opposite corners

Judging by your OP the new leafs and shocks gave you about 1.5" of correction. Ford's "acceptable" side-to-side lean difference spec
is 5/8" for the front and 3/4" for the rear. To compensate for lean when adjusting the torsion bolts, lifting or lowering the front will affect the opposite rear corner. Lowering the passenger front will lift drivers rear, etc. Always a good idea to get alignment checked after tweaking the torsion bolts as camber and toe will most likely change. Also check front and rear sway bar end links as they have been known to alter ride height if broken or disconnected.

Vehicle Lean Correction Adjustments
https://www.scribd.com/doc/267966768/Vehicle-Lean-Correction-Adjustments

I agree, if the springs and monroe's didn't fix the problem then something big is wrong. Twisting your torsion bars will only affect the front, my best guess is a bent frame or axle or something, also you might want to make sure that your shackles are the exact same.

Judging by your OP the new leafs and shocks gave you about 1.5" of correction. Ford's "acceptable" side-to-side lean difference spec
is 5/8" for the front and 3/4" for the rear. To compensate for lean when adjusting the torsion bolts, lifting or lowering the front will affect the opposite rear corner. Lowering the passenger front will lift drivers rear, etc. Always a good idea to get alignment checked after tweaking the torsion bolts as camber and toe will most likely change. Also check front and rear sway bar end links as they have been known to alter ride height if broken or disconnected.

Vehicle Lean Correction Adjustments
https://www.scribd.com/doc/267966768/Vehicle-Lean-Correction-Adjustments

I guess I am wrong about a tt not affecting the rear, my bad, still doubt that if the front end is basically even then the rear would have such a large difference.

My frame is bent at the back right behind the axle i dont know how... But it only affects it less than half inch.

Maby bent Diff housing, or next steps try a pair of Warrior 153 shackles

Back