Saleen Explorer Experts Needed!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Saleen Explorer Experts Needed!!

Im new to the X thing but have been into mustangs forever.Here is my problem-I know that the saleen mustang wheels(18inch)have a different offset front to rear.The reason for this is to keep the back wheels from being tucked in.Did the Saleen XP8 Explorer have different offsets front to rear like the mustangs?The reason I ask is because ALL of the fake saleen wheels Ive seen have the same offset front to rear.I like the price of the knock-offs but if the rears are going to tuck in Ill just have to bite the bullet and go with the real ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the tire Rack. I believe there are at least two. The Michelin was about $150 each, and the other was a Pirelli possibly. Maybe it was a Toyo, I have forgotten.

Basically though, know that each 10mm larger width is about 1/2" taller of a diameter. For my vehicle, I think a 255/60/18 would be closest to what I prefer.

You should choose something based on how good of a ride versus handling that you want. Good luck,
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tires

Well since Im going to lower it 1.5 I went ahead and ordered the 255/55/18s like the XP8s came with.I got the BFGOODRICH G-FORCE KDS2s.They seem to have good ratings and a cool tread design as well.The michelins look to much like a 4X4 tire and thats NOT the look Im after....Ill let yall know how it turns out....

I got them on..wpita!!!The back fit fine once I got the e-brake cable tie strapped out of the way.The front was a nightmare!!I had to do away with the dust cover that goes on rotor AND grind the end of the spindle down.I had to modify the center cap big time.Then I had to grind out the wheel where the centercap goes so the hub of the rotor would clear!After that I had to glue the centercaps in!I geuss I could have ran a wheel spacer to solve all of this but the wheels are on the edge of sticking out to far as it is imop.All in all they look GREAT!!!!Those BFGs are awsome!They stick like glue and just really change the way the truck drives.once I lower it and get some good shocks and swaybars this thing will really corner...

wow, i had no such problems at all.

other than the rear issue.

and i still maintain that my truck completely tucks the rims inside the fenders.

got any pictures?

I dont have pics yet.I want to lower it first.when I bought it the rear sagged a little so I adjusted the T-bars a little.I want to experiment with the front to see how low I can get it and still ride ok.Im think about flipping the spindle to the top side of the lower a-arm.This should lower it a inch or so.Ill keep ya posted.

Are you driving it with the ride height different than originally? If so, the alignment will be off, and it will wear the tires much faster. You should play with the height using old tires, until you are happy. Then get an alignment, and install the new tires.

How wide are the wheels? My 17x8" Cobra wheels were a great width. My current 18x8.5" wheels are slightly wider than the space in the front wheelwells. To use anything wider would mean accepting the wheels sticking out a little. There may be some differences between 4WD's, Sports, etc.

Yes, let's see some pictures,
Don

They are 18X9s with 255/55/18s.I dont drive it much.Ill get it aligned as soon as Im happy with the ride height.

Here's a few pics of the wifes Explorer. I'm trial fitting my (her) new 18x9 Saleen wheels on an 04 XLS. Hopefully I'll get the tires mounted by the weekend. I think I've decided on 255/55R18's instead of the 285/50's

23950-756-12295.jpg

23950-756-12296.jpg

23950-756-12297.jpg

23950-756-12298.jpg

I'm running 18x9 Saleens with 255/55 Nittos

Now that Ive got the 255s on mine Im glad I did.The fit the rim perfect.a 285 wont look right.What brand are you going with?I got the BFG G-FORCE tires.They look sick!I love them.Very quiet,and handles like its on rails.

a 285 would fit the larger rim just the same as the 255 fits the rims you have. don't know why i keep defending them, i should just sit back and be glad i'm the only one with em. in my opinion they complete "MAKE" my truck.

GPRACING said:
What brand are you going with?I got the BFG G-FORCE tires.

Probably going to go with Toyo Proxes S/T
If not my second choice would be Nitto's

expo5.0 said:
a 285 would fit the larger rim just the same as the 255 fits the rims you have. don't know why i keep defending them, i should just sit back and be glad i'm the only one with em. in my opinion they complete "MAKE" my truck.

Well,.....I've seroiusly thought about going with the 285's , but my Lightning that I drive on a daily basis has 275's on all four corners, and it seems to track more than other vehicles with narrower tires in the front.

I also tossed the idea of going with the big & little look (18x10's w/ 285/50's in the rear, and 18x9's w/ 255's in the front), but where this is my wifes daily driver, I wanted the ability to rotate the tires.

yes, i don't think you read my earlier post. but i run the big and little package just like that. it really sucks to have bigger than 255s up front imo on our trucks (they chase every bump)

i can understand why you wanto to be able to rotate too though

Back