Saleen Series 2 on Explorer? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Saleen Series 2 on Explorer?

Did idle and free rev datalogging with the MAF Extender and Don's new tune. It seems to be running okay. I'm just waiting for Don's go-ahead before taking it out on the road.
I've been saying this for months, but I really think that I will be driving by next week.

@boominXplorer I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well she spins em. I still need a couple more things but it runs and drives now.

One of my tires went super flat and came off the bead. I have the full size spare, but when 4x4 kicks on it's a bumpy ride. I just disabled 4x4 via fuses for the moment.

My projects for spring will probably be redoing the intake using the suggestions from lsxkilr and meth injection.

Oops hit disagree on accident, I wish it would confirm the likes before posting. I have fat thumbs lol

Got it running decent? How many lbs?

Oops hit that on accident, I wish it would confirm the likes before posting. I have fat thumbs lol

Got it running decent? How many lbs?

Hah, no worries. I was wondering if I said something especially stupid or something.

I don't have a boost gauge but with the pulley I got on there it should be making like 9-10lbs. It runs pretty good, I got no complaints. I haven't had a chance to really mess around with it yet, but the supercharger whine brings me joy.

Here's a clip of not quite 0-60. One of the rear tires has full tread while the other is a little worn, so I disabled 4x4. If I floor it in first it spins quite easily so I have to ease into it. I imagine once I can launch in 4x4, 0-60 would probably be around 5.5s or so. We'll see though. I'll probably get tires later this month if all goes well.

waiting on more update
It'll probably be around early next month before I can get new tires on. Got a bunch going on with the holidays here.
It's also winter here, so I'll have to wait for good weather to be safe :p

I think once it warms up a little bit I'm gonna add in a boost gauge and a-pillar dual gauge pod for the zeitronix gauge + boost gauge. I kinda wanna do an e-fan install so it's easier to get the belt on and off since it seems I have to do it pretty frequently.

EDIT:
Well I decided to just do the boost gauge and A-pillar gauge pod now.
The boost gauge will be AEM 30-4406 and the gauge pod is Auto Meter 15308. We'll see how well it fits.

I'm still planning to do tires around the start of next month.

It'll probably be around early next month before I can get new tires on. Got a bunch going on with the holidays here.
It's also winter here, so I'll have to wait for good weather to be safe :p

I think once it warms up a little bit I'm gonna add in a boost gauge and a-pillar dual gauge pod for the zeitronix gauge + boost gauge. I kinda wanna do an e-fan install so it's easier to get the belt on and off since it seems I have to do it pretty frequently.

EDIT:
Well I decided to just do the boost gauge and A-pillar gauge pod now.
The boost gauge will be AEM 30-4406 and the gauge pod is Auto Meter 15308. We'll see how well it fits.

I'm still planning to do tires around the start of next month.
Thanks for the update

I got the autometer 15308. I just quickly lined it up in the explorer. For a 2 gauge A pillar pod, this will work fine (for those looking to get one, this doesn't line up exactly. If you're worried about how it's gonna look, I'd keep searching). It's dark now but I'll try to install tomorrow. I won't get the boost gauge installed yet since I'll need to get the alternator off and such.
mMFn4wO_d.jpg

Around January or February I hope to get a second engine to start putting together forged internals. I've never built an engine, so my plan is to get a book on it and just take it slow and make sure I do everything right and to spec. My friend who has built engines before will be assisting me. Trickflow heads and cams.

I'm looking at getting a second transmission and the Level10 5r55s build kit they advertise for 1000hp applications. I don't have any expectations of 1000hp, but my long term plan is to keep the m90, and rear mount a turbo in the spare tire area.

Thanks LSXkilr, glad I haven't spent any money yet. I'll check out your thread. What built 5r55 did you use? I heard a lot of good things about the Level10 stuff.

Everything you can possibly buy/do to a 5r55. I had it done to mine. -Still broke it.

Gotcha. Well, I might just see how far the 5r55 gets me then look into a 6r80 when it goes. I think you're making a bit more power than I plan to at least in the near future.
Have you had your car to the 1/4?

EDIT:
Put the gauge pod in. Doesn't look great. Doesn't look terrible. I'm not that worried about it, it serves its purpose. I'll get the boost gauge hooked up this weekend. I'm really curious to see how much boost it's making and if I'm getting any slip.
3F59nxo.jpg

It didn't line up with the panel as well as I thought it did before when I test fit it in the evening.
hOYdxQX.jpg

I got the boost gauge setup over the weekend. I had expected the pulley to make ~10lbs of boost, and the highest I saw was 9lbs. So pretty much right in line with what I was seeing on saleen forums.

I'd definitely get that a/f gauge working before doing more hard WOT pulls. I'd hate to see you damage the internals from not having a safe tune.

I'd not worry about upgrading internals, get a solid tune on it to squeeze all the power you can out of the 9-10lbs you got. That M90 doesn't have a whole lot more boost to provide without making a ton of heat.

Stock internals will come unglued at 500hp. 12lbs of boost and other upgrades will get you close to 500hp at the crank and will throw a rod pretty quickly. The guy that owned my mustang before me was running 12lbs with meth, he threw a stock rod 2 different times ruining 2 blocks in 10k miles. Then when I got it I put a stock motor in it with the 9lb pulley on it and it's been fine ever since. I've bounced the rev limiter plenty and even missed the 3-4 shift racing and grabbed 2nd over revving the engine for a split second. Still good to go. Only "upgraded internals" I have is the bigger oil pump/tube and timing set. Those don't really count though as the rods are the biggest problem.

I'd definitely get that a/f gauge working before doing more hard WOT pulls. I'd hate to see you damage the internals from not having a safe tune.

I'd not worry about upgrading internals, get a solid tune on it to squeeze all the power you can out of the 9-10lbs you got. That M90 doesn't have a whole lot more boost to provide without making a ton of heat.

The wideband/AF gauge is working. I got that working before I started driving. I was too scared about something going wrong to not have it running :)

Yeah that's what my plan is. I wanna get this running pretty efficient. Then start working on a second engine that I'll add another power adder to. I have nitrous on my 04 mach1. I was considering just moving the kit over to the explorer, but I'd definitely be pushing the limits of what's safe with stock internals.

That blower whine sure sounds sweet!
Amazing job and thanks for sharing it with us!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back