Salvage Yard Treasure Hunt | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Salvage Yard Treasure Hunt

What's the most difficult part that you guys have ever removed a the yard? I lose so much track of time there. The wife will ask "How long will you be there"? I always reply "an hour or two". When I notice, its been 4 or 5. In the beginning, I would take all my tools. Now I only take exactly what is needed to remove Ex parts. I definately always care extra 8mm and 10 mm sockets

A lot of times I walk the yard first and only bring in a few hand tools. Like one of those all in one kits. The hardest part is finding something big and trying to it by your self. Axles are the worst. Carts are not always available, they actually didn't even have them not so long ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be nice.....The few yards in my area have zip for this application. And most of what they do have is in really sad shape & they charge you a arm, hand, & finger for it :(
And none are close. 20 min drive min to the closest one & only one u pull it place within 50 miles.
Then you have the weather....85+ & humid all year. Rains at any time 9 months out of the year & after it does...good luck getting anything that isn't water logged & muddy.
Just doesn't pay....I buy what I can on Ebay or online somewhere else new.
I have quite a few about 10 to 15 mins away. When it rains here, the yard has 50% off sale. But I'm in Cali, every day the weather usually rocks.

I love the junkyards. It started as going there to collect license plates, then as my love for autos grew and being too poor to buy new parts, the junkyard became my second home. My exploder is built of many junkyard or used parts.

My wife doesn't have a problem with me going to a junkyard, it's when I find the deal of the year and don't consult with her prior to bringing it home she has the problem with.

My wife even asked why don't we make my our junkyard? I couldn't believe my ears. I may have to look into this. There isn't many to choose from local to me, and the u pull it type isn't widely available near me either.

tbird_zpsd1f44798.jpg

This is what I was up against. On these thunderbirds, the driveshaft runs up above the gas tank, it was a little tricky clearance wise

Ive thought about turning my backyard into a 1st Gen Salvage Yard but my city is pretty strict. If they found out, Im screwed.

Now if the salvage yard only sold beer.......hmmmm

Ive thought about turning my backyard into a 1st Gen Salvage Yard but my city is pretty strict. If they found out, Im screwed.

Haha if I had my own 1st gen junkyard it would go belly up because I wouldn't sell anything. I would find some reason to keep all the parts whether I needed them or not.

There's a work around!

Only buy trucks with current tabs.

Go to DMV and request a non-operational number.

This will suspend but not cancel your registration.

You can transfer title under the non-op and not have to do emissions. (unless at a later date you want to lift the non-op and drive/sell it)

As long as you have that non-op number no insurance is required as long as it is parked off public street.

Then you just have to hide them from your nosy neighbor. (car covers will shut up any complainers) If their all covered the law will walk away.

California That!

Haha if I had my own 1st junkyard it would go belly up because I wouldn't sell anything. I would find some reason to keep all the parts whether I needed them or not.

I can relate to that! I play softball, and used the same glove for 18 years. When it disappeared I tried a bunch of different gloves. Last year, I used 4 gloves, all keepers. The past few months I've been buying high end gloves to resell for a profit this spring. I now have 6 gloves I intend to keep and use, and a couple more I'd really like to hang on to. I play 3 or 4 games a week, but who needs 6 gloves?

30 years ago I bought a '70 Cyclone project and parted out a bunch of '70-71 Mercury Montegos and Cyclones. I was going to "corner the market" on Cyclone/Montego parts. Turned out I probably WAS the market back then. Of course this was long before e-bay. And that Cyclone project I bought in 1981 hasn't progressed at all. Still in my garage, though.

I can relate to that!

30 years ago I bought a '70 Cyclone project and parted out a bunch of '70-71 Mercury Montegos and Cyclones. I was going to "corner the market" on Cyclone/Montego parts. Turned out I probably WAS the market back then. Of course this was long before e-bay. And that Cyclone project I bought in 1981 hasn't progressed at all. Still in my garage, though.

At least you still have it. The Jan 14 pic on my calendar is a 70 Cyclone Spoiler. It is a pretty car.

At least you still have it. The Jan 14 pic on my calendar is a 70 Cyclone Spoiler. It is a pretty car.

Mine is the base Cyclone, 429 4V, 4sp, bench seat. Originally Competition Orange, but somebody put a cheap blue paint job on it. In the late '70s I had a Competition Yellow GT with a black vinyl top, 429CJ, C6. I also had an Orange GT with a black vinyl roof, 351 4V, bench seat for a short time. Only the 2nd GT I've ever seen with a bench as buckets were standard in the GT and Spoilers. I tried for some time to buy a friend's Competition Green Spoiler, 429 CJ, which he bought after seeing my yellow GT. Every time he was ready to sell, I didn't have the $$, and anytime I had the $$, he wasn't in the mood to sell. Yeah, I like '70-71 Cyclones!

Just came back from junkyard picking. There were so many Explorers today. It was sad to see so many complete Explorers in great condition being parted out. Some of them had immaculate interiors. What a shame

I'll post pictures in a bit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back