Sand Driving - Quick Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sand Driving - Quick Question

bener

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
3.0 Diesel Toyota Surf
Hi all, what are your experiences with driving on soft sand at normal tyre pressures on all terrain tyres?

My current Toyota Surf KZN185 3.0 diesel is running Cooper Discoverer AT3 tyres, and I've never had to pressure down for sand - it goes through deep soft sand like nothing, even while towing others out.

Is the Explorer so heavy that pressuring down is crucial, or will good ATs allow me to drive on sand at normal pressure?

Also, I have read a few comments about sand driving being hard on the transmission and 4wd system due to the wheelspin involved - I'm on the beach once a month or so, so if sand is bad an Explorer might not be my best option!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ll always get better traction on sand aired down. It’s good insurance, because once you dig in you’re stuck.

If you drive careful in the sand there should be more load, but not a lot of wheelspin.

Sand is not a problem for a 4x4 vehicle, thats why it is 4x4 in the first place, do not worry about it. Do no drive on pavement or concrete in 4x4 mode, but you already know this, that is the biggest killer to the 4x4 system, and also have same type style and size tires on all four corners.

Cool, I thought it was odd that everyone is airing down their tyres for sand - I'd do it if I was stuck but not for normal beach driving.

I do see the point of it being insurance though!

I don't go on the beach too often (but we live near the Corolla wild ponies) But my strategy is to hit the sand with hard tires and automatic AWD.
I don't usually get stuck but when i do i know i can air down, engage 4x4 and have more traction to get out than i came in with.

Yeah that's my usual strategy too, thanks for the input! I thought it was a bit strange that everyone said they were airing down before they even hit the sand - seems
a bit of a hassle, especially when you have to air back up after with your little 12v pump.

Back