Sandbox2.000 Suspension Build | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sandbox2.000 Suspension Build

Grant / @97Sandbox

Just sayin'

From memory - my 98 2 Door Sport AWD w/ a 5 Speed Manual Trans had a SPECIFIC rack for it - different from any of the other 2nd Gen Explorers.

Back in 2008, when Factory Re-Built parts were still available, I had a local mechanic replace the rack due to a slight leak from the bellows.

Through a series of aftermarket replacement rack & pinion part mishaps/screw ups (tried to save money and that didn't work out), we learned from the local FORD Parts Department that my specific year/set-up called for a QUICK STEERING RATIO rack. specifically for a 2 Door AWD w/ a 5 Speed Manual Trans.

It took about a week as it had to be shipped from Detroit, and when the FORD Factory Re-Built rack showed up to the shop, it came in a FORD box, the rack had a FORD rebuilt hologram sticker on it, and also a stickler that specified what the parts counter guy told us, which is that it was a QUICK RATIO rack and it listed the Ratio.

I just looked through my electronic records, and the FORD Part Number for the Rack that we settled on is: F87Z3504KCRM

Link: 1998-2003 Ford Gear Assembly F87Z-3504-KCRM | TascaParts.com

One thing I will say - whatever the ratio, I never had problems doing u-turns or cutting into parking spaces. I swear that rack was as quick as any sports car rack.

Also - be aware that over tine you can dial the slop out of the factory rack with careful turning of the big outer nut and the inner nut (scribe witness marks on BOTH) , located on the front/outside of the rack, driver's side.

Link to How to Adjust Rack & Pinion Lash: Good quality replacement steering rack?

Happy New Year & Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Dave. I haven't had any trouble from my four 2nd gen's yet, but I was thinking of replacing the one for my project truck. Ford had dropped the price of their rebuilt units to about $175 at one time almost ten years ago, and I didn't have a core to turn in then. A year later they changed sources of the racks, and the price went up to about $450 at that time.

I'll contact my dealer here and see if they can get me that F87Z3504KCRM unit and handle a core for it.

One thing I will say - whatever the ratio, I never had problems doing u-turns or cutting into parking spaces. I swear that rack was as quick as any sports car rack.

Thanks for the tip, Dave!

I may just have to pick up one of those quick ratio racks. I'd say the steering in my Sport is not great. It doesn't feel loose/vague, just slow responding (feels about the same as my '97 XLT did, but steers like a bus compared to my Civic and even my wife's Sienna). I'm glad you reminded me about adjusting the lash -- I should give that a try.

In non-Explorer related news, my wife and I are moving to rural Nebraska! While that'll be great for my impending engine swap (no more Milwaukee county bi-annual OBD2 scanning), it does mean my Sport will likely see more than a few gravel roads in it's future. This has my rear shock rods feeling rather vulnerable, so I'm taking care of it with this quick mod:
PXL_20230311_034504431.jpg

Boots are from RockAuto. Monroe SA1997, although the brand on the (very retro looking) boxes is Strut-Mate.
16785077440878595060951971666987.jpg

They fit my shocks really well with a groove in the boot tightly snapped around the flange at the base of the upper shock eye and a zip tie holding the lower part of the boot against the shock body.

I may have lost some of the street truck/sporty factor but at least my shocks are better protected. In hindsight, it would've been great to add boots to the coilovers too, but that'd be a ton of unpleasant work at this point. I figure the front shocks are much less likely to get pelted by rocks than the rears anyway.

Biannual emissions check? I guess I better stop complaining about my yearly checks on the diesel.

Best of luck with the move.:chug:

Ah, good catch. The word I meant to say was biennial (every other year). Even as a native speaker, English can be tricky haha!

Thought I'd share an update on this build as there have been a few small changes this summer:
  • One of my rear shocks started leaking so I sent back to Strange for rebuild. Didn't love dealing with them to be perfectly honest. I threw on some cheap KYB shocks while my Strange ones were back off and I plan to keep them on for the time being -- they feel good.
  • I had noticed a vague thumping when coasting through turns but it hadn't been easy to pinpoint the source. Eventually, it got worse and I thought it was a ball joint. Turned out BJs were fine, but both front hubs were a bit loose (right side especially). Pulled everything apart and bearings/races looked good, so I just cleaned out the existing grease and reassembled with fresh grease and new seals. Not sure what the issue was, but the hubs feel good now.
  • I'm thinking some of the vibration when turning may have to do with play in my steering rack. I'd like to take some play out using the adjuster nut, but I need to acquire a 2-1/4" or bigger adjustable wrench for the locknut (my current largest adjustable wrench is just barely too small). I'll pursue this if the thumping continues with the rebuilt front hubs.
  • One more thing to add is that the 550lb springs in front give a pretty harsh ride when hitting potholes and expansion joints. From what I've read, they should be better suited for when a 302 goes in, which will happen eventually.
Overall, I'm still very happy with the setup. The swaybars and lowering make the Sport much more confident in the corners and I'm glad I made these wheels and tires work...it definitely looks how I wanted even if there's still room for handling improvement.
1691429730030.png

Mmm pizza

@97Sandbox That Sport is the stuff of dreams!

@97Sandbox That Sport is the stuff of dreams!
Thank you very much! It's come a long way and has a long way to go still, but it's slowly turning into what I've dreamt of since I was a 16-year-old driving a '97 XLT.

Back