• Register Today It's free!

Sanding and Repainting Bumper

wiscguy

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
The last part I have to paint on my vehicle is the back bumper. Its starting to rust in various spots so I want to take it off, sand it down, and repaint it.

Now I do not want to sand the entire thing by hand so im looking into electric sanders. Any thought on which would be the best to use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use a cheapo electric hand sander on all the flat spots and do the contours by hand, not that hard. I did mine this way a few weeks ago, took about 40 minutes.
Another idea is to invest in a angle grinder with a wire wheel on it, I use this as well, works great.

Thank you I will pick these up tonight. Planning to get this done friday or saturday. thanks again

Make sure the bumper and brackets arent too far gone before you put alot of work into it. Alot of times they rust out from the back, so by the time you notice its too late.

So there is rusting on the back but I can probably sand it clean and fix the spots needed. If the brackets are bad are there replacement parts?

Back