Sandstuck! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sandstuck!

So, I’ve got an 01 Explorer sport. Fun little rig but no 4wd. Took it to senior skip day at a local beach with a bunch of friends. Little overcast and it’s been wet so I was thinking it’d fare well enough without my 4wd working (I’ve never had the chance to drive on the beach or go off-roading I was taking time to fix my suspension components before leaving myself stranded if I hit something a little harder than my blown shocks could handle). Well as I pull down onto the beach, I see a 4Runner stuck near the water. One of my friends hears my 4wd doesn’t work, stops me, and tells me to reverse back up. Well I happened to be stopped in one of THE SOFTEST PARTS. And all that did was dig me a hole lmfao. I managed to ease it out and out of the way so the 4Runner could get itself pulled out (entirely different story.. the driver of the 4Runner made the guy who was pulling them out realllll mad). And then I decided to let the one person who had experience with their 4wd try to take my car out of the sand. Turns out they don’t have much more experience than me and got it actually just a little more stuck than it was. We all collectively decided to take whoever’s cars weren’t stuck out of the sand and up to parking and just have a tailgate sort of deal up there. And then just leave mine until we could have someone with a more capable rig pull it out. But this story has a good ending. You see my limited slip rear diff and the fact that the 2nd gen is a pretty light platform to begin with, I had confidence in its ability to make it out with only 2wd. This is where Google taught me that airing down my tires was the prime way to gain some traction. So aired them down to about 20PSI, dug out the sand from around my tires, and eased it out and gunned it up the bank to the gravel no problem. Was real happy I didn’t have to embarrass myself having my girlfriend’s dad pull me out because I was an idiot taking my car on the beach haha.

Whoops make for some great memories. I'm glad you got it unstuck and saved face in front of your girlfriend's dad. :D

So, I’ve got an 01 Explorer sport. Fun little rig but no 4wd. Took it to senior skip day at a local beach with a bunch of friends. Little overcast and it’s been wet so I was thinking it’d fare well enough without my 4wd working (I’ve never had the chance to drive on the beach or go off-roading I was taking time to fix my suspension components before leaving myself stranded if I hit something a little harder than my blown shocks could handle). Well as I pull down onto the beach, I see a 4Runner stuck near the water. One of my friends hears my 4wd doesn’t work, stops me, and tells me to reverse back up. Well I happened to be stopped in one of THE SOFTEST PARTS. And all that did was dig me a hole lmfao. I managed to ease it out and out of the way so the 4Runner could get itself pulled out (entirely different story.. the driver of the 4Runner made the guy who was pulling them out realllll mad). And then I decided to let the one person who had experience with their 4wd try to take my car out of the sand. Turns out they don’t have much more experience than me and got it actually just a little more stuck than it was. We all collectively decided to take whoever’s cars weren’t stuck out of the sand and up to parking and just have a tailgate sort of deal up there. And then just leave mine until we could have someone with a more capable rig pull it out. But this story has a good ending. You see my limited slip rear diff and the fact that the 2nd gen is a pretty light platform to begin with, I had confidence in its ability to make it out with only 2wd. This is where Google taught me that airing down my tires was the prime way to gain some traction. So aired them down to about 20PSI, dug out the sand from around my tires, and eased it out and gunned it up the bank to the gravel no problem. Was real happy I didn’t have to embarrass myself having my girlfriend’s dad pull me out because I was an idiot taking my car on the beach haha.
fun memories!!! luckily i ain datin' no-one so at least theres no one who can judge me too hard like that haha senior ditch day seems fun (im a jr)

Back