• Register Today It's free!

sank it...now electrical probs

924x4

Reaction score
City, State
kimberley,bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Ok, so i was in a bit to much water this past weekend. sank my truck. hydrolocked it( i beleave).. ever sence though it will just click when you try to start it, so i pulled out plugs turned engine over by hand, wouldnt budge. but eventually we got it free'd up and turning smooth. so i drained the oil put new stuff in, got a new starter and solenoid along with the solenoid on the firewall. charged the battery fully and im still getting this stupid click and no action. there starter isnt engaging or spinning. im really curios as to what this may be. Im lacking a multimeter aswell. just wondering if anything jumps into anyones head, if not ill grab a multimeter and start chasing wires.
Thanks.

p.s 1992 ford explorer 4.0L.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it clicks and doesn't turn over the engine that would point to the battery cable (pos and neg) corrosion. It is a common problem on this generation of explorer as for the hydrolocked engine. I would have suggested removing the spark plugs first. Try replacing the terminals and battery cables.

well, its not hydrolocked anymore.. and as i said i removed plugs and have new ones to go back in..I thought about cables for a bit but thought, they worked fine before i sank it, so i dont see how they would be bad from getting a little wet. if my coilpacks where shot what would be the symptoms?

well, its not hydrolocked anymore.. and as i said i removed plugs and have new ones to go back in..I thought about cables for a bit but thought, they worked fine before i sank it, so i dont see how they would be bad from getting a little wet. if my coilpacks where shot what would be the symptoms?

The engine would just turn over but it wouldnt run

Hmm all the relay and fuses good? Have you tried jumping the solenoid terminals to see if the starter engages?

i beleave all the fuses are good. i dont see a charging system fuse, we just have the 2 fuseboxes right? passenger side engine compartment and near the e brake petal?
I havent tested my relays... im wondering if a faulty alternator could have anything to do with this?
What relays should i be checking, and where can i find them?
Thanks alot, ill check my starter first thing after work tomorow.

Yea just the two. But I dont think the alternator has anything to do with it.

Well water leads to corrosion, I had the same clicking problem after washing my engine so this is not outta the scope of reality. I'd suggest new cables and ends. You want to check the starter relay, not sure which one it is. They are below the fuse box in the engine bay. :D:roll::D

Oh yea and whats clicking when you turn the key? Is it the starter? soleniod? etc..

Run a jumper from the battery to the starter and see if it turns over. If it does, then it's probably somewhere in the battery cables from the battery to the fender solenoid to the starter. Keep in mind that battery cables normally corrode from the inside out, so it can look fine externally, but still be bad. If that all checks out, then it could be the ignition or neutral switch. It's very unlikely that it's your alternator or battery.
/

just remember not to exercise the starter relay too much when your chasing down the problem cause they have LOW coil resistance so as to get good contact force and they get hot quik.

sweet man hope it works I damn near hydrolocked mine last year and it sucks.

Out of curiosity how did you turn the engine over by hand cause my mom locked her chrystler at the same time as I nearly did and they just said she'd have to swap.

You just have to find a socket that fits the crankshaft pulley, usually biggest one on the bottom and turn it over there, with the plugs in it, you better have a breaker bar and a big ol snipe, but take the plugs out and it will make it much easier..

The news, well new starter in, and the engine turns over now, but i have a feeling i took in alot of water because i now have 1/2 tank :p so it wont run, im gonna drop the gas tank and drain it... we dont have a drain plug on the gas tank do we?

Back