sas confusion!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sas confusion!!

ok guys im looking to do a sas for my 1995 ed ex 4x4 and imstill a little confused on what front axel to run with. i hear many people talking about using j**p parts but im not a j**p type of guy lol..but anyways i want to use either an late 78-79 bronco or ford 150 parts..i want a hp dana 44 or 60 up front. i just need to know which one will be better for a daily driver with 35x12.5,16 tires underneath.. and if the driveshaft from the donor 78-79 bronco or f150 will work..i think the front driveshaft needs to be about 36 inches for no bind. im also runnin coils and will this kit work for the sas??
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-122-6-lift-kits.html

come on guys please help i know you guys that have done these sas before have answers..thanks guys appreciate it:)
ill list the parts ill need for you guys to see if i got it right..any opinion counts for the easier cheaper route:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if I were you I would start by reading all of the SAS swap threads and learn some stuff. If you really want the 78-79 axles they will either have to be cut down to narrow width or you will need to run a 9in/full width 8.8. With 35's the D44 should hold up fine, and as for mounting it do you want 4 link, 3 link, or radius arms. You do also understand all of the steering is going to need to be fabricated as well as swapping in a steering box and ditching the r&p steering.

This should help you out.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237376

do some research in the sas threads. This will answer most of your questions. then it's research, research, research! I gathered 99% my parts before I started. Made it a lot easier

If use a Dana 30 from a Cherokee (axle is 61 inches). Jeep doesn't own Dana. So in way you are not using a 100% Jeep axle. Ford used the Dana 30 back in old 1st gen broncos. Problem with 1st gen Bronco 30s and 44s. They are only about 55 inches wide. Then you go to the 70s Ford truck front axles you have new problem too wide all are about 65 inches or wider. Now if you use a Wagoneer LP 44 front they are about 63 inches,:scratch: now we are talking with spacers in the rear would be about even since the 8.8 is just under 60 inches. But you are back to a Jeep axle. Now you can take the a HP 44 from 70s Ford and have hack it down and use Wagoneer shafts then you will feel more loyal to Ford name. But in my opinion a Dana axle is still not Ford even though it might be from under one.

As far as Y link long arms again not a Jeep design. Just designed to work with a Jeep. Only parts on my swap that came from a Jeep was the front axle. Which I plan on building a 44 to replace in the next 12 mos. So you can always build with Jeep Dana and swap in Ford Dana later. :D

yea i dont want it to wide just to where the tire stick out and the rear hug pretty nice..i like the dand 30 idea and spacers in the rear..i just dont know what truck i can find it on..a jeep...bronco...f150 etc??

Best axle choice for a D30 would be High Pinion from a 92-99 Jeep Cherokee. They came non Center Axle Disconnect (CAD).

92 might still have a CAD but I am pretty sure it didn't.

Here is what it looks like avoid it like the plague they are weak and harder to service. Not mention don't work sometimes. It is a vacuum disconnect. Works kinda like a lockout. It will be on Pass side tube sitting on the back side of the axle.

131_0712_11_z+1997_ford_ranger+high_pinion_dana_30.jpg

Back