SAS Explorer- What will work best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS Explorer- What will work best?

Harder93

Reaction score
City, State
Buckley, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
Hopefully will be starting to collect some part to start a build, I live in Washington State with a width restriction in many places of 80" I'm looking to do a SAS so what axle is the most straigh foreward swap? I've heard of it being a 77 Bronco. Will the width remain the same and how staright foreward will it be? Mostely bolt-on? Any advice is welcome, Thanks, Blair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your budget and can you do your own work?

Thanks, my budget will most likly be 500 topps for the sas and than extra for other things maybe a little more, i have seen d44 for 50 bucks on craigslist full width with matching 9" for 140 out of a bronco w/ 3.5s

I am still in the process of learning fab work but have family and friends to help along the way, just cant let it sit for too long.

My dana 44s' out of a 78 or 9 bronco. Or 4x4 f-150 if I remember right. BUT They had to be narrowed 6"

I'm running 36x12.5x15 with 4" back space. From tread to tread it is 72" or 6' So thats with in your or 80" With a 10.5 you would be way with in the restrictions.

I didn't have the work done so I can say what the work cost.

Hope this helped you some I would say do a search on SAS swaps because there is more to it!!! OK

But well worth it!!!!!:D:salute:

It doesnt have to be cut down does it? Or do you have to cut it down for it to work properly? Thanks for the input!

If you budget is $500 you need to sit back and save some more money.

Gears alone will run you over $500.

You do not have to narrow the axle. Im running a 78 d44 full width

Burns I should have stated that they didn't have to be cut down to work..

But there is no way he can meet the 80" restrictions he has, if he don't narrow the axles. And I can say that I'm glad mine were narrowed for some of the tight places I've in with trees that don't move. Ksrocks is made more for jeeps!

Good luck and be safe!

If you budget is $500 you need to sit back and save some more money.

Gears alone will run you over $500.

You do not have to narrow the axle. Im running a 78 d44 full width

gears will run you well over 500, but if he sticks with the stock 3.50s and smaller tires i believe it can be done under 500. now mind you it would most likely have to be a very simple spring setup, most likely almost identical to the vehicle it came out of, with no aftermarket axle products. everything would pretty much have to come from craigslist or the junkyard

I'm very thrifty and will start buying and modifying the parts as i get them so they will be easier to swap, the 500 was the budget for axle swap i wasnt including the price of the gears or lift although if i run a soa f/r i should be able to get the height i want for pretty cheap and would be cost effective. What worrys me is the breaks because i want to find a way to do a custom disk brake swap but cant seem to find one for the front (i already have chose one for the rear) and the steering may become a problem but im not quite as woried about it. In the long term this could become an expensive project and i know that.

Back