• Register Today It's free!

SAS Help/information

Deathbringer

Reaction score
City, State
BATHURST
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 2007 v8 4x4 I want to know more about the possibility of the sas swap front and back also possibly a different transfer case, the 4412 can’t be that strong.. I don’t wanna hear “not worth the cost” etc thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're comfortable with custom fabrication anything is possible. A big obstacle for our explorers is the CV through frame design in the rear, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm wanting to swap in a ford 9 or 8.8 in the rear of my explorer as well, I'll let you know if I make any progress

Anything is possible with enough time and welding skill...

Oh yeah. It's not worth the cost. If out and out solid wheeling is what you're after, may as well just start with a 5.0 2nd gen and do the SAS. Lots of tech on those years.
On the 4th gens, everything in the rear would be custom. Not saying it's impossible, but it won't be cheap, easy, or really worth the trouble unless you're a die hard off roader, mud runner, or simply throwing a thousand pound/feet to the tires....

I have a 2007 v8 4x4 I want to know more about the possibility of the sas swap front and back also possibly a different transfer case, the 4412 can’t be that strong.. I don’t wanna hear “not worth the cost” etc thank you
You're from New Brunswick? Welcome. Tons of good info here.

Anything is possible with enough time and welding skill...

Oh yeah. It's not worth the cost. If out and out solid wheeling is what you're after, may as well just start with a 5.0 2nd gen and do the SAS. Lots of tech on those years.
On the 4th gens, everything in the rear would be custom. Not saying it's impossible, but it won't be cheap, easy, or really worth the trouble unless you're a die hard off roader, mud runner, or simply throwing a thousand pound/feet to the tires....
Yeah die hard mud runner, running with the jeeps in the deep snow and mud soon hopefully I might try the stock suspension for a while maybe put a auto locker or some type of LSD in the rear diff my goal is to go 35s 3 inch lift and 3 inch body lift with btf upper control arms

For the fourth gens, the traction control system does a good job of imitating an auto locker. If you push the traction control button for around a second(don't hold it down) it will disable all traction control systems except the brake traction control. This system will apply brake pressure to spinning tires, even airborn tires. This has the same effect as a locked diff(not quite as effective but still better than an open diff or lsd) and will get you really far off road. You have to be careful how much you use it though as it will heat up the brakes and go into cooldown mode if they get too hot

For the fourth gens, the traction control system does a good job of imitating an auto locker. If you push the traction control button for around a second(don't hold it down) it will disable all traction control systems except the brake traction control. This system will apply brake pressure to spinning tires, even airborn tires. This has the same effect as a locked diff(not quite as effective but still better than an open diff or lsd) and will get you really far off road. You have to be careful how much you use it though as it will heat up the brakes and go into cooldown mode if they get too hot
I’ve had quite a few situations where I’ve gotten stuck because only 2 tires were spinning even with the advance track on, maybe I need new front brakes or I need to get the lines bled of air...

I’ve had quite a few situations where I’ve gotten stuck because only 2 tires were spinning even with the advance track on, maybe I need new front brakes or I need to get the lines bled of air...
Was the traction control fully on or fully off? There's a middle setting you want it at, but like I said it's not the same as actually having lockers

Was the traction control fully on or fully off? There's a middle setting you want it at, but like I said it's not the same as actually having lockers
I think I accidentally had it turned all the way off when I should have just pressed it once and let go right away to get the mode your taking about,
oh well live and learn😂, a lot of shovelling was done this winter let’s just say that 😂

Back