SAS is now underway! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

SAS is now underway!

Ok - the front swap is underway. I will be using:
'75 EB D44
JD 3.5" VR coils
JD radius arm drop brackets
F150 discs and knuckles
JD track-bar mount

Brake lines will be run either to the center of the axle and split there (similar to the EB setup) or run down the frame and back up the RA to avoid the brake lines getting twisted or caught up in the springs.

I will be swapping the yoke in the D44 to match the current driveshaft. Will I have any issues with driveshaft length in the front?

Steering - have some questions here - what is the tie-rod-over-knuckle thing I've heard of?

J

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Originally posted by taxxman2k
But what is $12 in the large picture of this swap anyways?:shoot:

After running Quicken and seeing I am out about 3k so far, I would say $12 is NOTHING n the grand scheme of things :) (just don't tell the wife :eek: )

J

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
Originally posted by FMExplorer
After running Quicken and seeing I am out about 3k so far, I would say $12 is NOTHING n the grand scheme of things :) (just don't tell the wife :eek: )

J

lol

FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Ok - Tramp is out of the garage, however, my welding skills aren't that good - already broke the trackbar mount welds. I also noticed my design sucks, so I am going to get a stronger welder and try again - not much to do and should have Tramp running around the neighborhood tomorrow!

J

FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Ok - Tramp is out!

Here is a shot finished!
8side-med.jpg

Front shot
8frnt-med.jpg

And the broken trackbar mount...
8brkn_mount-med.jpg

The track bar mount can be seen to the left of the base of the shock - it belong about 8" higher...

However, Chris Olmo at Mustang Motorsports in Fort Myers is going to fix the mount and make sure the rest of the welds will hold. Thanks Chris!

With the exception of a few minor details and the welding, we're done!

J

For more details - see the SAS registry

Muskrat

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Califon, NJ USA!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger STX
hehehehe

Now the fun part

taxx