• Register Today It's free!

SAS is now underway!

Ok - the front swap is underway. I will be using:
'75 EB D44
JD 3.5" VR coils
JD radius arm drop brackets
F150 discs and knuckles
JD track-bar mount

Brake lines will be run either to the center of the axle and split there (similar to the EB setup) or run down the frame and back up the RA to avoid the brake lines getting twisted or caught up in the springs.

I will be swapping the yoke in the D44 to match the current driveshaft. Will I have any issues with driveshaft length in the front?

Steering - have some questions here - what is the tie-rod-over-knuckle thing I've heard of?

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First - solved the air tool issue. Hone Depot has for $300 a 22 gal tank, 5hp motor, 5.1CFM @90psi compressor with inpact wrench, blower, ratchet, chisel, fittings, oil - everything you need! Needless to say I love it and I too have no idea how I lived wihtout an air ratchet!

Now - on to some conversion issues. MOstly mud in FL so the extreme travel that some guys are getting isn't a must. But - I want to make sure things are done right. On the steering - the track bar needs to run as close to the same angle as the drag link, right? Also - what is a panhard bar?

The more I read, the more I think I will switch buckets and shock towers, but will the front driveshaft be long enough?

Jon

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by FMExplorer
On the steering - the track bar needs to run as close to the same angle as the drag link, right? Also - what is a panhard bar?

The more I read, the more I think I will switch buckets and shock towers, but will the front driveshaft be long enough?

Jon

1. Yes, close to same angle.
2. panhard bar = trac bar (Ford vs. Jeep lingo)
3. Check out therangerstation.com, they have an article about the F250 shock towers conversion.
4. Driveshaft should be fine with 6" of lift, but no more.

Thanks Dale!

I figured now that I have the right tools (air chisel, impact wrench and so on) I don't have any excuse for not switching buckets.

Another question for you - what are your thoughts on running the brake lines down the frame rail and back up the RA to avoid getting hung up in the springs?

J

Another question for you - what are your thoughts on running the brake lines down the frame rail and back up the RA to avoid getting hung up in the springs?

J

I think that's a very good idea. So good, in fact, I have some stock brake lines sitting in my garage for the very same project!

Cheers
Dale

Cool - how are you planning on making the turn at the radius arm bracket and how do you plan on protecting the brake lines on the arm? This will be a fun one to do - lookin forward to it :)

Also - test fitting will start around the 18th and final assembly Feb 1. Hopefully I will be able to get some good shots of the progress. Tonight I'll try to post some parts pics...

J

Cool - how are you planning on making the turn at the radius arm bracket and how do you plan on protecting the brake lines on the arm? This will be a fun one to do - lookin forward to it :)

My stock F150 Dana 44 came that way. I still have the clips on the housing and the brackets for the soft lines to the calipers. I'm not sure how the lines go from the master cylinder to the housing, I think it drops to the center of the pumpkin, then goes both ways with hard line.

Cheers
Dale

First - solved the air tool issue. Hone Depot has for $300 a 22 gal tank, 5hp motor, 5.1CFM @90psi compressor with inpact wrench, blower, ratchet, chisel, fittings, oil - everything you need! Needless to say I love it and I too have no idea how I lived wihtout an air ratchet!

HAHA that is pretty close to the same deal I got only at a different store. is it one or two stage?

OK back to the main topic. You guys have lost me talking about the steering, need to get my axle soon so I can follow along. I don't know what type of shock towers a first gen has so I don't know how I compare but I will proly fab something. What sort of upper buckets are youthingking of using?

Well - I think I am going to use the stock buckets because my springs were modified to fit the stock buckets. With a '97 you'd want to get EB buckets.

I am going to cut the shock tower out of my bucket and replace it with the tower from an F250. I can set it to the height I need before welding it up. I will document it well.

1 or 2 stage - no idea - don't even know what it means! :)

J

Cool

1 or 2 stage (may not be right terminology) but refers to the motor. is is a electric motor hooked to a belt turning a piston or one of those other kind that just has a one peice motor on it that rattles? Just curious. Performance shouldn't be affected either way :D

It's not belt-driven, but it does have a regulator that will fill to 150 psi and regulate the output - if I want to fill my tires to 30psi, I just set it to 30 and it stops there - pretty cool!

J

ya. compressors are neat toys aren't they? Now back to the real reason for this thread.....

Ok - a few measley pics...

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

That's it for now - knuckles arrived today, springs should be here tomorrow. so MOnday I'll have a few more.

J

Hey Jon how long you figure it'll take to finish?

Stuff is arriving piece-mail. I still need to get radius arm drop brackets, coil mounts, gears and track bar mount. I expect all of that to be here in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully by the 1st or 2nd week of February I'll have it all together and running. I am also doing a rear disc conversion and my Detroit was just sent to the manufacturer for repair (yes - I broke it - no clue on that one)

It may seem slow, but I want to make sure I do it right the first time ;)

J

Well don't despair, mine took 10 mos. Your right though, take it easy and do it right the first time:D

Springs are in - and they are longer than the 5.5" SL springs - this will be so cool! I'll have a mock-up and some pics by Sunday night!

J

You gonna paint my name on the side (like a sponser) since I sold you almost all your parts?

That would be cool:thumbsup: !!!!!!!!

First thing I would do is start saving up for some inner axle shafts. I found out, when I bought the u-joints, that it takes dana 30 (the smaller) ujoints. If you can find a "true" dana 44 axle shaft, lay it next to those and you will see the difference. You can use the outers from a fullsize D44, but the inners will have to be special ordered (warn or mosier).

That is the main reason I decided not to use the EB D44 was because of the smaller axle shafts. Moser makes an aftermarket shaft that is supposed to be as strong as a stock dana 60 shaft. Plus, good luck finding spare shafts (even the smaller ones) for that axle, they are hard to find! (pricey too!)

Now ya tell me! ;)

No biggie - I can get better shafts down the road. Hey - you wouldn't happen to know which ball joints to get? I am guessing the ones for a 79 F150. And another question - how do the brakes attach to the outter knuckle?

Here's some pics of the progress:

SL 5.5" springs on left, WildHorses 3.5" spring on right

Attachments

• springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 383

Back